• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Granada Wide body 71 that someone here used to own

Harv

Yeah, that sure looks like the one. Those wheels are unmistakeable! Been a very long time since I've seen that one. What memories that brings back!!

BTW Harv, If I recall correctly the car's original color was Colorado. ;-)

Here's another couple pictures from AutoSpies...

P1030356.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yes, original color was Colorado. We had it primered and didn't decide on the final color until we were ready to shoot it. We chose Cinnabarot.

We did a lot of work to do the color change. The engine compartment was just shot out in black. I'm sure if you look there is plenty of Colorado under the seats and all.

Glad to see the fenders are still intact. That must mean we did something right about 22 years ago.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

There was another thread about this a week or two ago. You can get them from Moss Motors, pretty inexpensive. (I got those from Dick Cepek in the '80s) They come with mounting clips that are supposed to go on the headlamp retainer ring screws. These did not work with the deep dish grilles. The 7" mesh fit in behind the grille bowls and was secured with some silicone.

Steve J

& too many bikes

Well,

I won't set the value. I don't currently own it, and I'm not buying it.

I bought the car from the original owner. I had the first engine rebuilt by Lyle Moore. After the rebuild, and going into the flared stage, I ran dual 45's. I did do three track schools and the extent of racing was autocrosses.

I worked with Rich Rose at R&R Bodyworks in Vallejo to do the flares. At the end of the project he told me, "If you ever do this again, you are a paying customer and not a friend." It was a BUNCH of work. I wish I had a pic of the rear fenders when we chopped them to fit the 225's on the rear. Total hot rod. We fit the fiberglas flares with pop rivets and I drove it for a few days to check for cracks, fitment. We installed them with 3M body panel adhesive and a few of the rivets that were deep enough to cover. The flares were originally made for long point bumpers. I cut the indents out, flipped them over and reinstalled them with Dynaglas. Same for the fuel filler hole. The front fenders were bolt on replacements. Rich did really well at filling trim holes on the doors and rear panel. The rocker trim is held on with aluminum nutserts installed in the holes for the old plastic mounting clips. The old clips didn't quite work with the flares. M6x1.0 allen head cap bolts.

In 92/93 we were house shopping and had a new son. The trade was that I got a 2 car garage and got to keep my M3, so the '02 had to go. I had to make the car smog legal for California. I decided on using the 2 liter bottom end and using the 1.8 head with the CIS fuel injection. Felt a lot like a tii, but not as tempermental. There should be a CARB sticker on the drivers door saying it is smog legal(doesn't matter any more).

I sold it in November '95. The guy bought it for his son. I believe they put in a 5 speed and a turbo. From the ebay ad, I guess the five speed stayed, but the turbo is gone. It looks like they made an extra cut in the nose near where the snorkle would have been.

The interior is the same as I left it except for the front sears, steering wheel, seatbelts, and the stereo. It looks like someone added in another alarm system.

Suspension is ST race bars and springs taken from a totalled IT car back when. I did have Koni sports on it. Also Bavaria control arms and drag links. I painted the strut spacers red and placed them on top. I see those are still there, as is my custom relay cover and 320i washer bottle.

Steve J

& too many bikes

When I built it in 89-92, I think I had well over $12k in receipts. All the body work was done in trade, so that wasn't even being counted.

Harv or others may be able to put a current dollar amount on what a full box flare job costs. Original owner bought it from Import Motors (Concord BMW) in 1971. I bought it in 1986. I know the car was solid when I started with it, so original that knowing now I should have kept it bone stock. I sold it in 95. I believe it moved to Napa, and then out East probably sometime in 96/97.

Modified cars are fickle. Some can fetch top dollar while others don't even match 50% of the investment.

Steve J

& too many bikes