• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1Z Wheel Paint

JohnS

I restored these wheels using the 1Z and Wurth products.

Step 1: I bought these 35 year old wheels from Jan. They were in very good condition for 35 year old wheels. Had the wheel checked to make sure they were not bent and they were fine.

Step 2: Had the wheels media blasted down to bare metal.

Step 3: Wiped them down with Wurth cleaning solvant.

Step 4: Painted them with 1Z self eteching primer ("Haft-Grund").

Step 5: Painted them with 1Z Silber Paint.

Step 6: Painted them with Wurth Clear.

Step 7: Drink Beer, let wheels bake in sun.

Total Cost: Paint $170(with ship) - 2 cans solvent, 3 cans primer, 3 cans silver, 3 cans clear.

Media Blast: $120

P1000159.jpg

P1000141.jpg

post-1616-13667648670179_thumb.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

They look awsome .Here is a shot of my Alpinas that I did 2 months ago- wire cup on a baby grinder, wire tooth brush with comet mixed with Mguires bug and tar remover then wiped of with acetone.VHT acid etch primer and VHT metalic silver wheel paint.Then mounted some 175-85-13

Michelins.For you guys that have not perfomed work like this and have paid someone to do the grunt work.It will bust your ass.Blasted is the only way to fly.Media blast will not remove any dings or gouges caused by curbs-poor tire shops etc.Porter cable DA and sone 80 grit along with a week end of severer elbo-itist.Plus hand massage with 220 to blend in the blemmishes.If you had to pay someone to do mine you could have bought a new set of factory at factoriy prices.I have 120 hours total in these friggin rims.From pressure wash to taking down from painting.

post-215-13667648689123_thumb.jpg

post-215-13667648689525_thumb.jpg

post-215-13667648689834_thumb.jpg

I did the things yesterday no one wanted to -

So I could do the things today no one else can afford.

Blasted is the only way to fly.Media blast will not remove any dings or gouges caused by curbs-poor tire shops etc.Porter cable DA and sone 80 grit along with a week end of severer elbo-itist.Plus hand massage with 220 to blend in the blemmishes.

I probably should have spent some time on sanding out the dings and gouges. I didn't do any sanding after they were blasted. You can see some of the curbage in the picture of the single wheel. Oh well, they'll be covered in brake dust pretty soon.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Any reason for using the 1Z paint versus the Wurth product?

Ive got my alloys sitting in the garage, waiting to be stripped and refinished. I've been putting it off because I have to first invest the money to have them checked, then blasted, before any paint or powder can be applied.

I've done a couple of sets of steel wheels with the Wurth silver and clear with really good/lasting results. It's just the prep and cleaning of the alloys that puts me off.

Now, my son has a set of 320is BBS's that need to be cleaned and refinished. Maybe I should have him 'practice' on his wheels, and then hae him do my 2002 alloys and my M3 BBS's when he's done.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Any reason for using the 1Z paint versus the Wurth product?

I had to return a couple of cans of the Wurth silver paint a while back because the cans were defective and wouldn't spray. Maybe the cans had been sitting around for a long time before I bought them, don't know. That's the only reason I went with the 1Z. I can't compare the 1Z with the Wurth silver, because I never actually got to spray any of the Wurth silver. I will say that the 1Z primer and paint layed down really nicely and was the exact color I was looking for. Tuff stuff too.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I had to return a couple of cans of the Wurth silver paint a while back because the cans were defective and wouldn't spray.

John

I had the same problem with some silver Wurth paint I bought. 3 cans, all bad and proved to be a real pain. It was for a set of BBS RS and it sucked having to clean up the bad paint to stat over...

Your wheels look great John!

I ended up buying 3 of these German Wheel Restoration kits from AutoGeek. I have left over cans of the solvant and a couple of the rags and all of the foam finger things left, but the price was cheaper than buying only what I needed seperately. They say you only need 2 of their kits to do 4 wheels, but I needed 3.

http://www.autogeek.net/german-wheel-restoration-kit.html

post-1616-13667648795763_thumb.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I also had the issue with the spray nozzles. Luckily, I had at least one good one that I moved from can to can.

It looks like Autogeek also offers just the 1Z silver and Wurth clear as a bundle that saves a few dollars over the seperate costs.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes