• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 tii in Seattle on ebay

BhamMax

ya think? believe me, i'm fixin' to, as soon as I can. trying to set something up with the owner - just hoping to get as much info about the car as I can. the description leads me to believe that other enthusiasts in the area will know of this car - just looking to benefit from collective wisdom.

At the risk of offending anyone, I'll just wade in here and add my $.02...

I've the dubious distinction of having dealt with rusty 02s -- beginning in the early 70s with the slow demise of my first 2002, a 1969 model. Despite its rustproofed chassis, the front fenders sprouted rust beginning in 1973.

The Polaris and Neu Polaris-painted "California Cars" I've been familiar with nearly forty years later, despite their lineage, have not been particularly pristine, and in all cases appear to be rustier than their solid-color counterparts.

In recent years since moving to the West Coast, I've had a bit of professional experience with rust and particularly with rust on several tiis (2761507, 2762084 and 2782824). All three have been Polaris or Polaris Neu. Only one is a sunroof car. One was my daily driver in the Bay Area.

For whatever reason, the two-stage metallic paints (an extras-cost sticker option) failed to last very long. Among the cognoscenti back in the day, metallic paint jobs were shunned by purchasers of new BMWs due to problems incurred during manufacture. I've heard of fogging, checking and otherwise failure of the metallic paint, including Polaris, Ceylon, Fjord, Baikal, Granatrot, Taiga, Turkis, Siennabrun, etc. The ensuing complaints prompted a coordinated effort by BMW NA and dealers to make amends by offering pro-rated, "strip-to-bare-metal" paintjobs in some cases. FWIW, I purchased a new 2002, a 1974 model in early 1975. It was NON-metallic Amazonasgrun.

My personal car, VIN 2782824, a Southern California car, had rusty rockerpanels, floors and unusual surface rust areas around every window seal. Under the hood, there was what appeared to be rusty measles -- scabby spots on smooth surfaces and scale-y rust at joints, seams and welds. One might suspect poor surface prep, but after forty years, who knows?

VIN 2761507 was in the shop (A1 Imports in San Rafael) for an engine rebuild. The car was from the North Bay and rarely near the ocean. It too, had rusty rockers, spare tire well rust, front apron rust and the same peculiar rust "measles" under the hood. The exterior surfaces had been painted white, which, despite its lack of originality, may have been its salvation.

VIN 2762084 was a Southern California ebay car brought in to the shop for a few tweaks and baubles. It had been given a modest restoration just prior to being listed that included new front fenders, new tail panel and spare tire well. The paint was scarcely dry. During examination it was discovered the rear shock towers were "gone" -- rusted through. Closer inspection revealed rust in virtually every panel, including the floor. The new owner is taking it in stride. It is currently nearing the end of an extensive, two year body restoration at UACC in Burlingame. It has been declared "rust-free" although precious little of the original car remains. Expect to see it at West Coast shows next year.

With all due respect to the sellers of these cars, I can only imagine they merely were unaware of the rust and believed strongly in the "California Car" rust-free mystique.

The car in question looks to be quite nice. The ebay listing seems to stress the car's stronger points, and there are many. It has had few owners and shows considerable care. The dogleg five-speed is an added feature. I like the wheels -- a lot.

But the "red flags" are indeed present and suggest that, in my eyes, this car is rusty.

1. The lack of front fender reflectors indicates the possibility of fender replacement -- likely due to rust. Front fenders are the first places to show rust.

2. Rust peeking through the rocker panels. From the ebay pictures this appears to be on the right side, at the bottom of the outer rocker panel. (See picture below of 2762084.) Once this section is "opened up," there may be more rust...much more. And, it can be structural. That spells danger.

3. Sloppy paint prep. The right side door jamb is so gummed up with paint that I cannot determine if it is rust peeking through or merely a ham-handed attempt to put a pin in the door brake. The broken and painted-over dome-light push-switch suggests some sub-standard paint prepwork -- definitely NOT "show-quality" as the ebay listing states.

To sum up, and to give it the benefit of the doubt without the luxury of an actual test-drive, this is a good car, but not a great car. At the end of the day, and while bidding may go into the stratosphere, it's likely worth considerably less than $10K.

And that's this person's (experienced) opinion.

post-169-13667648805741_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com