• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement tii pump/throttle linkage

pilotnbr1

Plastic was in the early cars. Everything changed to metal ball ends later.

Any idea why? The other 2 rods in my '73 have metal ends. If I were BMW, I would have used all metal from the start unless I had a reason not to do so.

Probably because of the way that the plastic ends are open on each side of the ball. Less tendency to bind I would think. I renewed the linkage on my '73 with the newer metal ends on that linkage piece and it works fine.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Guest Anonymous

I believe the throttle linkages are M5 x .8 threads, but the part numbers I ordered (mine needed 3 right hand and 3 left hand, check yours to see what you have/need) from Pierce manifold are:

JP57176

JP57175

I don't know which is left hand and which is right hand though, the bag doesnt say. Click the link below

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/181.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Plastic was in the early cars. Everything changed to metal ball ends later.

Any idea why? The other 2 rods in my '73 have metal ends. If I were BMW, I would have used all metal from the start unless I had a reason not to do so.

Probably because of the way that the plastic ends are open on each side of the ball. Less tendency to bind I would think. I renewed the linkage on my '73 with the newer metal ends on that linkage piece and it works fine.

I just picked up a new new intermediate shaft and now TB-KFish linkage. The new linkage has metal ends, as expected, but the joints are loose compared to the plastic ends. I'm sure the plastic is less durable, but it eliminates the slight sloppiness on the metal ends because it actually grips the ball instead of just snapping over it.

Now, anyone know how to make the metal sockets fit tighter? Mine are brand new BMW sourced items, and I'm looking at about 1/2mm of movement when the linkage is attached to the shaft and the pump. Ball on pump is brand new, too. Or is 1/2mm within spec? The plastic ends are dead solid, no slop at all, so I may just reuse them instead.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Hey there we can get that one for $27.88 same one pictured above all metal original one.

Cheers.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

I had two of the tii vertical throttle linkage pieces break this year. Both were original and both broke at the thin sheet metal clip. Since I was at the track I got a racer to weld the two shaft pieces together. Will post photos at some point. The shaft can be replaced as one piece in-situ by lifting the throttle body input cam rod. However, this only works if shaft is clean, otherwise accumulated dirt gives a lot of resistence.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)