• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT, Scheel shipping advice

kris

I bought a set of Scheels in SF with the help of Steve J, and now we need to get them from SF to Toronto in one piece, more or less. Does anyone have advice, pics on shipping methods? They don't seem to lend themselves to being taken apart.

70 M2 2.5L 

I've bought a couple of sets of Scheel seats and the seats were taken apart (the seat back seperated from the seat bottom) before they were packed for shipment.

The ones I bought from Esty were packed really nicely so that it was easy to figure out how to reassemble. Several big effin' boxes though...

To disassemble the seats I have, you begin by removing the plastic covers that cover the tilt-back/hinge mechanism on each side. Then you unbolt the lower part of the hinge on each side from the seat bottom. The plastic covers on mine were kind of thrashed, so I cleaned them up and used some JB weld to make them as good as I could.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

hand mine shipped VIA UPS from Texas to NOCAL in huge U-haul boxes. Seats were also taken apart. Another option would be Greyhound.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

You might want to wrap them in some heavy moving blankets (Home Depot) and find a shipper on U-Ship that has a partial load going your way where they can be placed in a safe spot inside the trailer. I moved some delicate parts this way once with a guy that had a motorcycle trailer.

73 2002 tii 2763480

08 Carrera S

09 528i

Fedex home delivery or Greyhound. Lay them flat. Remove the sliders, plastic bits and knobs. (Depending on model, some covers may hold springs in place, so watch out!) Wrap in a cheap thick blanket and find a box or two to slip over them and tape together. Back fill with peanuts.

Done it twice in the last six months.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Fedex home delivery or Greyhound. Lay them flat. Remove the plastic bits and knobs. (Depending on model, some covers may hold springs in place, so watch out!) Wrap in a cheap thick blanket and find a box or two to slip over them and tape together. Back fill with peanuts.

Done it twice in the last six months.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Where the hell am I gonna find some bicycle boxes?

Oh wait. (Steve looks up, inside his own garage) Nevermind.

My other thought was to build a frame out of some 1x1 wood, and then staple cardboard to the frame and seal up with packing tape. But, I think several smaller boxes would be easier to ship rather than two bulky, odd-shaped ones.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'll take some measurments of the seats and go to U-Haul to see if the wardrobe box will fit. I like that idea.

$300 shipping? (ohhh!) Do you like that idea, Kris?

We just gotta find someone that has bought a ratty 02 and is driving it from Cali to back east. We'll bolt in the Scheels for the trip, and then take them out as they near your destination.

Blunt and I are working out the details for Harv to start up "FAQer Express" by abusing his privledges.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'll take some measurments of the seats and go to U-Haul to see if the wardrobe box will fit. I like that idea.

$300 shipping? (ohhh!) Do you like that idea, Kris?

We just gotta find someone that has bought a ratty 02 and is driving it from Cali to back east. We'll bolt in the Scheels for the trip, and then take them out as they near your destination.

Blunt and I are working out the details for Harv to start up "FAQer Express" by abusing his privledges.

This is the opposite of the gold rush...us east coast types are buying up everything we can from the no rust zone and taking it east.

70 M2 2.5L