• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family friendly crossover - Need help here **Update**

sheggaw

Kids are growing and we are in a transition period and need an intermediate vehicle. Now after driving a van for sometime, space, comfort and convenience are all going to be an issue when choosing another vehicle. Sedans are out of question, we have happy toddler hands that would touch everything who knows what they are going to reach, plus the general confinement in a sedan doesn't sit well. Large trucks like Yukon & Suburbans are way to big, hence sticking to the Van. What makes me comfortable, cars like the Volvo V70 wagon, BMW E39 Wagon, Subaru Forester, and some of these new crossovers. Most of you here at some point in your life faced this same thing and wanted to know how you did the transition...

p.s The obvious choice for me would have been an E60 wagon / or X5, but this car is going to be something we need in between (2 year most use). and the stinking X5 has a leg room same as an E60 sedan. Wish BMW was making some kind of cross over (barring the X6) or the X5 GT (very expensive).

So far :

Crossover choice (not in any particular order, >2010 models)

GMC Terrain, Subaru Forester, Chevy Equinox, Kia Sorrento

Wagons

Volvo V70t, E39 540IT

what else should I look into ?

The bottom line, need good leg room in the back, fairly good amount of cargo space (bikes, bags, balls, etc for the kids)...

Thanks for the advice...

Update: 9/20/11

Tested the Subaru Forester & Outback, the 2.4L engine stinks, I mean it is like the Old diesel MB 250D... very, very anemic. But was left impressed with the value retention of those cars. After driving these two, went to see a used '08 LL Bean edition, 68K mi on it and they were asking 19K. I thought that was insane, but it is all over like that in regards to their value retention. And the space wasn't what I was expecting, with the exception of the ride height in the Outback.

Tested a Doge Journey, It seems like the designers were right on the money in regards to transition cars for families. 1st, the engine quality & strength left me impressed 3.6L v6,(I was expecting low I guess), the drive was smooth, seats were comfortable. 2nd, the "family-in-mind" design met my expectation in terms of space, convenience, room and versatility. There is standard seat configuration that leaves you with two bucket seats in the back + 3rd row seat in the back (left upright, very little room for cargo there). The back seats move back and forth to some extent, and as an added plus, there is a built in car booster seat for the kids, plenty of cup holders etc. IPOD connection, USB & SD card reader come standard on the 3.6 L V6 trim. Bluetooth is optional so is nav system.

Over all, it seems like the search effort is has shortened the cars to test from now on.

THOU SHALT DRIVE AN 02

I used to find it humorous when my wife and I would take our son to soccer (true suburban cliche'). The parking lot would be full of SUVs and vans. We'd pull in in either her A4 or my 2002. We'd still load in 5 people and a trunk load of stuff. Even when our son was an infant and as a parent you are required to carry two strollers, a car seat, a playpen, diaper bag, toys, etc... AND your own bags...we always made do with an E30.

My vote for you is to go as small as you think you are able to. Parking, fuel, etc.. will save you cash, and you won't be driving a bus around town when it is just you in the car. Maybe a Subie? I did rent one of the first gen Ford escapes for a week- decent vehicle. Didn't care for the 2nd gen model as much.

My wife has a MINI Clubman and just loves it. We have done a few road trips with it. One was us and our 15 year old son (5' 10" at the time) for a week in Oregon. We had the tandem and his single bike on the roof, all the bike stuff, and our baggage for the week. And when we dumped everything at the hotel, we had a small car to get around Portland.

Later on, we did a 4 day weekend with the two of us, our son, and his friend (both about 6' tall). Baggage and four people can fit into a small car if you are creative in packing. (Years in the US Navy helped me perfect that skill.) And you should have seen the five of us in a diesel Golf with all our luggage for 2 weeks in Europe. OK- That WAS a squeeze.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Last year when travelling with the family in San Diego we rented a Mazda 5. I wasn't impressed with interior material qualities (no nice soft touch plastics) but the practicality was honestly pretty awesome. Easily converted from 2-3 rows of seating, sliding doors on both side for great access, plenty of room yet didn't feel "big", half way decent motor and driving dynamics, and pretty darned cheap too. Haven't made up my mind on the newer body styling yet...

We have grown young'uns so "logical-cars" are by choice...."Her" daily is an 03 325i, mine fluctuates between 03 Chev Truck, and either a 95 850T wagon, and an 00 V70R wagon...we have a large hunde, and the 95 was his first car...has about 126K on it so its a baby, but we moved to an area where when it snows, we need AWD, so I bought the R wagon last fall...180K miles on it then. Love both of them, but because of depreciation, I wouldn't buy a new one....Both of mine are fast (relatively...), SAFE, versatile, and not boring. Decent mileage...I would not reccomend the third row seating unless you have to..The R has the best front seats I have ever been in. And I have Scheels and Recaros...

Good luck, Dave V. in NC

2X 02

2X 3.0cs

Truck

325i

914-4

2X Volvo wagons

I like the advice given by Steve J & by Armond. Thumbs up.

I don't like SUV's, nor do I like vans. Most people go overboard with their family vehicles once they have EVEN ONE LITTLE TYKE! We bought a 2001 Taurus wagon for carpool duty, family vacation duty, hauling a canoe, etc. We had 3 kids of our own to haul about, plus our kids' friends to carry about. Tauri aren't sexy or amazing, but they are reliable and likeable in their own practical way. And, yeah, I really preferred the idea of a 5-series touring, but that never got off the ground with Mary. She LOVES the Taurus and drives it maybe 90% to my 10%...

(I test drove a Volvo wagon. The 3rd row seat is SO TINY; not good.)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Last year when travelling with the family in San Diego we rented a Mazda 5. I wasn't impressed with interior material qualities (no nice soft touch plastics) but the practicality was honestly pretty awesome. Easily converted from 2-3 rows of seating, sliding doors on both side for great access, plenty of room yet didn't feel "big", half way decent motor and driving dynamics, and pretty darned cheap too. Haven't made up my mind on the newer body styling yet...

My wife and I have rented some Mazda 5's in Atlanta, GA. The ride is kind of harsh with those low profile tires. Pretty good vehicle overall though.

We got a Chevrolet HHV (whatever it was) as a rental in San Diego once and hated it.

I like the Subaru Forester, but wonder about the noisy boxer engine after many miles are put on it. Turbo XT model is nice, but requires premium fuel.

Honda Pilot's are nice, but kind of bulky. Neighbor just got a slightly used 2010 model and loves it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

how many kids is a deciding factor. 4 in my case meant Dodge Stealth to Mini Van in 92 after 6 months of ownership because 2 car seats didn't fit. Mini vans until 2000 then a large van(which everyone but me hated). Then Expedition until 2007. 4 car seats for about 5 years then varies stages of kids and friends. 2006, 2008, 2008 brought 3 new drivers. 2011 the 4th. Our "SUV" is a Honda CR-V and I have a Honda Ridgeline. The CR-V out performed the Ridgeline when we got 20 inches of snow in a day last year.

We wore 3 Mini Vans out. 2 Caravans and a Ford Windstar.

we have been flogging an '01 Dodge Durango for about 5 years. its TOUGH and it has enough guts to drag around just about anything that comes to mind (02s on trailers? e46s on trailers? spare house?) even with the small V8 (which is a 4.7L).

the being said, the 3rd row is a bit small, but its fine for the kids, and there is really not much room behind it for stuff when up. we've taken lengthy road trips with all three kids AND the in-laws (so all 7 seats filled) and it was still pretty comfy.

If I was going to ditch the Durango there are 2 ways to go for hauling kids and groceries:

Suburban/Yukon - primarily for the space behind the 3rd row of seats when in use. secondary consideration is that both the 2nd and 3rd rows are 3 across. massive engine means I can still tow anything with wheels on it.

Ford Flex - I am loath to suggest this BUT it has good space inside, and many different configurtions. it has the "utility" feel of a van without the look. Quality seemed to be much improved over previous Fords I've had the displeasure to own/drive/have die on me, and the ride was closer to a sedan than a van.