• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever crash an 02?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was just wondering if anyone here has crashed a 2002 and how well the car handled the crash.

As these cars get older, are they fading in ability to sustain a serious crash?

Of course every accident is different but in general I would love to hear comments.

Occasionally the Institute for Highway Safety crashes a collector car. I assume they have not done an 02, but it would be great to see.

Thoughhts?

War stories?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am gonna worry about having kids in mine and crossing paths with SUV's, Minivans and Yaris's . Just bought some three point belts front and rear from Blue Devils. That'l help a bit. Not much crumple zone or door bars on a 2002. I think I will do the LED taillights and I already have a centre mounted brake light. I also think a performance suspension, tires and killer horn will be a worthwhile safety upgrade.

Bob S.

front and rear are OK, it's the side hit that'll do you.

That and the sheer imbalance in mass...

Hummers- nothin' screams "INSECURE" like 'em...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes, twice. In my very first 2002, age 16, I was hit by a large GMC flatbed truck --T-boned on the driver side. It pinned the door to the hood and pretty much bashed the whole length of the car at about 40 mph. Could have killed me in a lesser car. It even drove afterwards and no glass broke!

Fast forward fifteen years and the second incident was another 2002, and a giant buck jumped into the front of the car one night off an embankment driving at about 60. Knocked the deer end over end careening throught the air, and I barely felt it. It knocked the front end in pretty good, took out the grill and radiator, fan, buggered the hood a bit too. Again, walked away without a scratch.

Thus I can only conclude that they are very safe cars, probably better built than most modern cars.

Thus I can only conclude that they are very safe cars, probably better built than most modern cars.

Don't believe that for a minute... Our '02s are safer than this '59 Chevy, but it's got a long way to go to match a newer car.

'59 vs '09, which one would you rather be riding in? Other videos on youtube clearly show the '59's dummy being smashed upward into the roof after being impaled by the steering wheel.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I was rear-ended on I-880 near Berkeley in my '74tii. I was just rolling along in slow traffic About 20-30 mph when I was plowed into by a Pontiac Vibe traveling an estimated 45-50 mph. I heard no tires sqeualing and I suspect the guy was stoned. Caught me unawares. Fortunately his bumper height was a good match for mine. The impact bumper collapsed and buckled both rear quarter panels. I was belted in (inertia-type reel and Recaro seat), but still hit the roof from the impact.

Totaled my tii. Had a salvage title, anyway. It's still alive down in San Diego as I understand.

Took several months of chiropractic adjusting to get my aging back and neck probs to go away. I'm fine now.

After I sold my '74tii, I bought my 1991 318is. At least the fuel tank isn't waving out there in the breeze like a Ford Pinto.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

2002's, especially roundies, are many generations of engineering and safety research behind modern cars. no air bags, no auto-tightening seatbelts, rudimentary crumple zones, lacking benefits of computer modeling and no extensive crash testing. just look at the stock seat mounting...four little 10mm bolts screwed into thin sheet metal. yikes. safety is a relative thing. are they inherently unsafe? no. are they a much bigger rist to drive than a newer car? heck yeah. i know folks do it, but i would never haul kids around in one, nor use it for daily commuting. just not worth the increased risk exposure.

and, after just cutting one up i have seen the inside of the roof pillars, rockers and other crush areas. scary how little metal is in these areas....and this was a big bumper 74 which has a bunch more metal than roundies do.

I drive mine like i drive motorcycles...paranoid all the time. unless it is on a racetrack...;-)

2xM3

i rather have a shunt while riding my Beamer,

atleast i'd hav a helmet and leathers on for protection

from the same period as the 02 - i'd also rather

get wadded up driving a SAAB, VOLVO, or MERCEDES-BENZ.

the 02 was/is a tin can by comparision - don't kid yerself

02Wreck.jpg

PASSIVESAFETY02VS3SERIES2.jpg

PASSIVESAFETY02VS3SERIES3.jpg

DOORS02-3comparision.jpg

Apillars02E21303646.jpg

02E21303646bodysheelweight.jpg

bodystructurecompare02p1.jpg

bodystructurecompare02E21E30p2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

My former 74 2002 was totaled several years ago by a red light runner who I hit broadside I was traveling on old route 66 in east LA county about 40 MPH when the driver pulled out in front of me. I locked up the brakes before impact and the crumple zones worked as advertised. I would rather have an accident in a big bumper 02 than a roundie. I bought the 02 back from the insurance company and parted it out. I gave my teenage daughter a 86 E30 with diving board bumpers, they are built like a tank.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner