• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy with a Roundie PICTURES ADDED

73ChargerSE

Hey guys,

I just bought a Roundie '02. I think it's a '71 or '72, haven't gotten a title for it yet. It appeared to be a rust free Arizona car, but I was unpleasantly surprised. The car was filled with literally THOUSANDS of cigarette packets and while cleaning out the car I found some water in the floorboards. I started to poke around, finally got the drain plug pulled on the passenger side to drain out. Since the car sat with water in it for a while, there is some rust where the floor slopes up towards on both sides and in the pedal box. The tar like sound deadener on the floor might have saved some of it, but I'm not sure. The rear shock towers look good, but there is some surface rust in the spare tire well.

My question is: Is this car still desirable how it sits? Would it be better to get rid of it? I'm more of a Mopar kid, but I picked this up for a cool project, but I'm not too keen on rust at all. What's an '02 with some rust worth if everything else is in pretty good shape?

Thanks!

Paul

Rust=money. If its surface rust a good ol homedepot repair job is suitable for a driver, if its structural rust (poke holes through it) that's the bad stuff. I got a 71, no rust on floor boards thank god but I pulled all the tar to find out. Rust in the firewall area is pretty common. If you can weld,(or know people who do) keep it. If not it might be worthwhile to valuate .

welcome and good luck

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Here's some pictures of the car. Put a battery in it and it turns over, so I'm assuming it will run. It's kind of a shame about the rust as the car is actually pretty straight. I don't have the check book to do a resto on this car, so I might just let it go. Also, the guy who I bought it from has a 2002ti dual Solex carb set up complete with air cleaner and a perfect dash pad. What would these pieces be worth?

Thanks!

Paul

DSCF5268.jpg

DSCF5269.jpg

DSCF5270.jpg

DSCF5271.jpg

DSCF5274.jpg

DSCF5275.jpg

DSCF5276.jpg

DSCF5277.jpg

DSCF5278.jpg

DSCF5279.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

DSCF5281.jpg

DSCF5282.jpg

DSCF5283.jpg

DSCF5284.jpg

DSCF5285.jpg

DSCF5286.jpg

Oof, that's rusty underneath. What's with the diamond plate? I'm by no means an expert on metal work, so I'll let someone else decide for you if it's fixable.

Too bad. It's an interesting color (or it was) and it kind of has that look and feel of a 64,000 mile car in some places (underhood and the perfect rear towers - not even a chip in the paint!)

It looks like a 71 or earlier to me, assuming the short bumpers are correct. I can't remember if those were supposed to have the black lower molding that isn't present on your car. I know that arrived at some point.

Post up the VIN and we can approximate the build date (plus Les can add it to his database).

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

That's not a Ti air cleaner. Ti had dual side-drafts. That looks like the air cleaner for the 1-lung solex.

Wow - that's a lot of rust. Looks like a 71 to me.

That will not be cheap to bring back to life.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I like it. Bet that the floors are bad from leaks over many years, and that the floors are the only bad rust. Worst rubber that I have ever seen on a 2002. Spare tire well surface rust only from leaks...I'll bet the tires have a date of manufacture of about 1973, probably parked about 1979...love the original caps, and original paint (Riviera?)...Yes it'd cost a Hummer-load of money to put right...I'd give you a $400 for it. Delivered. Good luck...

You'd be a hero if you would just get it rollin' as a roach or better.. Being an early car it would be admirable of you.

Although, with head rest seats and the later style connection in the pedal box, its not that early. There's diamond plate under the seat... black valve cover.. pin striping. I'm thinking it was a redo from the 80's that got a silver dollar cluster and earlier bumpers.

I'll call first dibs on the bumpers if you are going to dismantle.

Nice find!

Oh. The Ti kit should bring an easy 2-400 for quick sale, and the dash, depending on if its 1,2,or 3 piece, and TRUELY clean. 4-500 for quick sale as well.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

First dibs on the euro turn signals if they are in good working order.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.