• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How high to lift car with jack stands?

vintage

I've been using some smallish (14 inch max) jack stands on the rear, but want to elevate the entire 2002, evenly, for a more "comfortable" working position. Before I send money to Northern Tool (or similar) for a set of four jack stands, thought I would ask the FAQ for feedback/experience. I am replacing brakes and suspension (springs and shocks), exhaust will also be replaced. Probably more I don't know about. Is it even "wise" to consider a four jack stand setup? Suggestions welcome - and much appreciated.

Shawn
1983 e21 BMW 320iS

Shawn,

I used the same thing, but I ran a 4x6 across both of the jack stands and just to be safe put a couple cinder blocks in there too. on a cement floor the car could get bumped and fall with just the jackstands. Make sure you have something else in there too. At a minimum a jack.

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

After the jackstands are placed, I always run the jack back up snug to the car.

I think my M3 is up on four stands about 14 inches high, maybe a touch more or less. I know I've been able to scoot a transmission out from under the car, so however wide the bell housing is.

I picked up some really nice four legged stands. They don't go super high, but feel so much more sturdy than those cheap three legged ones.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 2 weeks later...