• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Level stance?

Knapmann

That's how it goes. To look level you need a little rake. Make some half inch (even less) spacers under spring pads at rear, or swap the pads if you have some lower ones, three dot pads are the highest.

Your picture isn't the best possible to compare. You should take one on level surface.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Personally I like to see the same tire covered front & rear, hence yours looks lower in the rear as you see more tire up the sharp end. Nice car too !

my 02 worth

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

My car does the same. It looks like the back is dragging...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks guys. I'm not exactly sure how to go about making spacers. I might get a set of old upper spring rubbers, trim them down to an inch or so and fit them above my current ones. The other thing is that I have Bilstein Sports in the front and HD's in the rear, do you think this contributes to the low rear end? I always thought the spring determined the ride height not the shock. I don't want to spend loads of money on a set of rear sports which make no difference (I don't mind the stiffness).

measure the distance from the fender lip to the belt line - the front is shorter which means the fender lip in the front sits higher. Measuring from the belt line to the ground will tell you if it is overall level.

Jon

I've thought about this and you're right, but I'm more bothered about whether it "looks" level rather that if its "technically" level. At the moment I think it's technically level if I measure it but that doesn't matter if most people walking past thinking it looks stupid.

The way i set the ride height is from the ground to the lower trim on the rocker panel . I shoot for a 1/2 inch difference between front and back ends of the trim. The front is lower of course. A mud flap from a large truck makes a good material to cut out spacer rings to put on top of the upper rear spring pad.

Howdy. I think your car looks low in the back. You might try the three dot rear pads and see if it helps. Some will say to cut front coils, but you really need to ask yourself how low do you really want to go for your intended use. When selecting a new spring/strut/shock combo for my 68 resto, I was concerned about this issue and ended up going with IE Stage I springs and HDs. I have two dot rear pads and left everything otherwise stock. I don't have any good side shots, plus the car is stripped but it did feel awesome with this setup before I tore it down.

DSC_0175.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

level smevel...overly simplistic suggest for the street, set the rear so that you have less than 2deg of camber. set the front so that the lower control arm is at least level or slightly higher on inside. lower than that on either end and you are screwing up how the car handles and increasing tire wear.

you can use the metal spacers from the front on the rear to raise it up.

2xM3

i agree with mlytle in alexandria, va points,

very important steering and handling comes first before

you make any more changes

and yer right - springs do control ride height

I wish you had matching shocks front to rear,

not mixed hd&sport

fill your gas tank, place 160 lbs. on each front seat,

park it on LEVEL GROUND and look again

p.s. - do you have a water leak into yer interior ???

is that condensation on the inside of the windows ????

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

The distance from the trim to the wheel arch is greater in the rear than it is in the front creating the illusion (sp?) that the rear is lower.

But sometimes the rear is actually lower. Go with the thicker pads in the rear.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades