• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THoughts?

Guest Anonymous

Nice Tundra sunroof roundie (I've inspected two '72 Tundra tii's in the last several months).

For $ 27K worth of receipts ($ 6K paint job), I think the engine would have been pulled along with the heater box to make sure the paint in those areas looked better than it does now.

Upper strut mounts are cracked and the nuts were sprayed (along with the aluminum spacers which look like they are under the fenderwell).

Heater hoses were sprayed along with wiper motor wiring. Cannot see the heater box and fan in the cowl at first glance.

Front seats should look like new for that price.

Door panels are screwed to the door and have ugly speakers.

Rear shock caps were painted green.

Cannot see inside the trunk - is that a car cover?

Rear bumper chrome on RS looks original - should look like new for $ 27K.

Spare tire wheel is not a '72 tii steelie.

Carpet looks funny.

Gauge cluster needs cleaning (should look like new for $ 27K worth of receipts).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I was looking at that one too last night and agree with the items Jim points out. Not things you would expect to see with that amount of money spent but still a nice looking roundie nonetheless. I imagine it will bid into the upper teens. Good luck with your search.

1960 Austin Healey Sprite | 1974 Ford Bronco | 1974 Porsche 911 | 1989 Mustang GT | 1995 Porsche 911 | 2017 Porsche 911 | Always in Search of a BMW 2002 

Agree with everything above.

- Also paint does'nt look great. I see orange peel everywhere.

- washer bottle looks different

- wiper motor housing sprayed over

- what is up with the doors? Are they tied to the body with cable?

- underneath spare tire area looks funky.

- nose seems to have been replaced at some point.

- oil filler cap is not correct.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

It's amazing to me how someone can put $27K into an 02, and still skimp?

Car still looks amazing - I'm sure this especially will appeal to a person who is unfamiliar with them.

I really like the Tundra color on Roundies. Am hoping to find a good one that doesn't have body rot.

Jim Gerock

Looks pretty nice, but if my car had a $6000 paint job in 2010, I wouldn't be dumping a trophy and a pile of books onto the hood.

The screwed-on door panels stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Love the working a/c and the 5-speed.

Not a single pic of the underbody. However, he uses very strong words ("a no-rust car" and "you will not find any rust on this car"), is truthful about closely photographing some of the car's imperfections, and has great feedback.

It'll be interesting to see what it brings.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Looks pretty nice, but if my car had a $6000 paint job in 2010, I wouldn't be dumping a trophy and a pile of books onto the hood.

How about a glass of good beer and birthday docs on a $ 500.00 paint job from around 2001? Even better- the decklid is from a Square-light car.

DSC_0663.jpg

Jim Gerock

My favorite part of the ad :

"...The trim molding above the window cranks are odd.

Looks like they are wrapped in foil, not sure what is up with that.

May be a protective covering & needs to be peeled off."

1zybshz.jpg

Also note the interior light switch in the jamb has been painted.

Jim Gerock

Has anyone else noticed, the metal wire/cable that seems to be tethered from the door to the body??? what is up with that???

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

I see thousands of dollars in corrections....this is not a good candidate for an enthusiast. It's still a nice car but not worth more than 12k imho. Ignorance would be bliss in this case. How could somebody consciously put those speakers in a 2002? Oh yeah, it's got to have 42,000 miles on it beause the original odometer says so!!! 2002 comedy at it's best.

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Auction said "Speedo reads 42,000 miles. No reason not to think this is not correct. The mileage shown corresponds with all the receipts & the Mass. title, which states it's original."

I missed that it's the wrong speedo. Obviously that's a big "reason to think this is not correct."

I'm more forgiving than many in terms of minor overspray of the tops of the rear shock towers, or the speakers in door panels (hey... it was the 70s... you wanted to listen to Dark Side of the Moon... you installed an aftermarket stereo, and the speakers had to go SOMEWHERE). But this mileage thing is huge. I've long felt that when a seller writes "odometer says 50k" with no further clarification, it's perilously close to being complicit in a lie -- ie, if the seller doesn't have the documentation to support a low original mileage, he or she should say "odometer reads 50k but I doubt it's original." Simply reading it doesn't let you off the hook. But, knowingly or unknowingly, this strays further over the line. He lists "42,000 miles" five times in the auction.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)