• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Good India Pale Ale (IPA) beers

jgerock

My wife has a friend who is a food, wine and beer critic for a MD publication. When she asked him for some IPA recommendations, here are the ones that my wife picked up as a 6-pack sampler from Total Wine & Beverage a few weeks ago:

Not pictured is Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/60-minute-ipa.htm

My favorite of this bunch was the Racer 5 (not because it reminded me of Speed Racer)

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

This one is brewed right in Alexandria, VA

IMG_6399.jpg

Another good one

IMG_6400.jpg

Good too

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

All were enjoyed at separate times to ensure I didn't mix up the tastes between them.

Anyone else here taste these (common is Dogfish Head)?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have had all of the ones selected. My favs are the Racer 5, the Small batch from Breckenridge (their only good beer IMHO) and the heavy seas.

Mmmm. Beer.

I like the Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid or Thier Outburst Imperial IPA.

The Outburst is a little more complex then your standard IPA as they use a good amount of hops for bitterness and then add some citrus notes to add bitterness along with a little sourness. Only available in the Alehouse until this spring then it will be bottled.

Ninkasi Tricerahops or Total Domination are two absolutely excellent IPAs. Hopworks Urban Brewery IPA, Oakshire Perfect Storm Imperial IPA, Bridgeport Hopczar, and Widmer Imperial IPA are all excellent as well.

No offense, but if you like Thunderhead you should try some other IPAs. I will drink pretty much anything but I actually avoid thunderhead.

Oregon is the Napa Valley of beers. If you ever end up here for a short stay, you need to go on a few brewery tours. We have more breweries per capita than any other place in the world.

Stone makes a great IPA / pale ale, and if you like it a bit stronger try the Stone "ruination" - it's very tasty w/ citrus hints. extremely hoppy / 100 IBU

old standby = Sierra Nevada Pale Ale green label

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Racer 5 is good, very hoppy. I usually use it as a standard I judge other beers against. I really need to be in the mood for an IPA. Bear republic is a nice stop whe you are out tearing up the roads in Sonoma county.

Laugunitas seems to be doing a lot of hoppy beers. I like their stuff. Another good place to stop on a Saturday afternoon- Busy!

New Belgium put out a few 'select' beers recently. Thier Ranger beer was touted as being hoppy, but no where near Racer 5. It was good, with a lot of citrus coming through. I haven't been to New Belgiun yet. Road Trip?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another great IPA: Christian Moerlein Northern Liberties IPA. It's made in my hometown - - Cincinnati, OH. Mary bought me some last week & I found the time to have 2 out of the 6-pack. Work gets in the way of having fun though.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Very big beer fan but I've never been into IPA's, I always feel like I should like them but just don't.

They are strong beers!

Another Two-Hearted Ale brand beer (not an IPA) I just tried is one made with brewer's licorice. I hated it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Administrators
If you're ever in the SF area, look for a bar that has Russian River Pliny the Elder on tap. It is a really damn good IPA.... in fact, it might be my desert island beer.

I like Racer 5 too, as well as Dogfish Head 90 min., but the rest of my beer tastes lean toward porters and ambers.

Pliny The Elder is probably the best IPA out there. I am lucky enough to live where i can get it pretty regularly. I have a growler sitting at the fridge at the moment. But to be a little more technical it's a Double IPA. Blind Pig would be the standard IPA and it's a killer too!!

steve k.

p.s. sorry, we cannot sell alcohol at events. But we have sold plenty of BMW 2002 FAQ Coffee mugs and Water Bottles that can be used to drink beers sitting in BMW2002FAQ coolers :)

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• 2 weeks later...
IPAs are a Man beer. You know.... If a man cooks something, he just doubles the good stuff in the recipe. Same with IPAs.

Well....... Steve didn't type that but he did say it once to me.

I've got a Green Flash, G'Night, and a Two Hearted Ale in the fridge...

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades