• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cult classic film: Vanishing Point (1971)

Jim_75Sahara

While on our RGB gtg, some of us watched this movie together. I'd heard about it for many years -- to the point of becoming legendary or even mythical. It is a strange time capsule of the times... So, is it existential mumbo-jumbo or is it genius? I lean toward the former.

(full disclosure: I was 11 when they made this film)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Exisitental yes. Driving outlaw in the 70's was what all gearheads dreamed of. No GPS,no helicopters no infrared plus all other tech stuff that has desroyed the physical thrill of driving. Vietnam had ended,race relations were in the tank,drugs were everywhere but you could still escape with 400 horse power. If you view it again concentrate on what the radio DJ says....I always viewed the driver as outta body relating a memory...

Saw that one at the Drive in. 2 Lane & California Kid on TV. Another movie made back then is Dirty Mary Crazy Larry .

Two NASCAR hopefuls, driver Larry (Peter Fonda) and his mechanic Deke (Adam Roarke), successfully execute a supermarket heist to finance their jump into the big-time auto racing. They extort $150,000 cash from a supermarket manager (Roddy McDowall in an uncredited role) by holding his wife and daughter hostage.

In making their escape they are confronted by Larry's one-night stand, Mary (Susan George). She convinces them to take her along for the ride in their souped-up Chevrolet Impala under the threat of informing on them. The Sheriff, Captain Franklin (Vic Morrow), obsessively pursues the trio in a dragnet, only to find his patrol cars unable to catch Larry, Mary and Deke after they switch from the Impala to a high-performance 1969 440 Dodge Charger R/T.

Their vehicle then enters a large walnut grove, which provides significant cover from all of the trees, and because of the many roads running through the farm, "60 different exits". The trio evades several patrol cars, a high-performance police interceptor, and even Captain Franklin himself in a Bell JetRanger helicopter. Nearing the border and imagining a smooth escape, Larry, Mary, and Deke meet their doom when they collide with a freight train.

[edit]

Chris