• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turbo carpet

esty

I'll look around for some of the pre-resto pics. It came with a one piece black carpet in my Chamonix car. Pretty small tight weave. Your carpet sets look really nice on those I've seen. I guess a one piece is about out of the question, but I wish I could have found one. I'm not sure how carpet is formed. Get a junquer and use the baes as a mold. Years ago I bought the one piece from Bav Auto and by the time I got it untied out of the box it was time to put it back in the box. It wouldn't go. Shipping a one piece would be difficult. If you can figure out the production and shipping I suspect there is a pretty good market for it. Good luck with it.

thanks for the info jack..unless they've drop'd it from their line, Auto Custom Carpet in alabama sells a moulded set for the o2...i used one of their sets in my 76 years ago but the last one i bought in 05 didn't work...it was way too bulky and try as i may, i could not get it to lay flat

Esty,

Would that be the outfit located in Anniston?

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 19800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Hi esty,

I can confirm from several original turbo´s I´ve seen at meetings here in Germany: They originally have the late standard one-piece carpet for black interior cars. The grey one on the photos above.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 2 years later...

I am resurrecting this thread by asking someone to share a close-up pic of their Turbo carpet. Specifically I am curious about the coloring and loop.

The higher the resolution the better.

Etsy graciously provided some samples so I just need a reference point.

vielen Dank

m6smitten1.jpg

Mine unfortunately did not have the original carpets in it when I bought the car.  I have one of Esty's kits waiting to go in.  When I restored it I could not find any decent salt and pepper sets and had not found out about Esty yet.  We were able to find some good material and she made up the set for me,  I just have not had the time to get them installed yet.  I spent the winter working on the other '02 and the M5 so the turbo got ignored.  A really good quality molded salt and pepper would be correct but I don't know of any being made. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I suspect the turbo utilized the same one-piece salt-and-pepper carpet used in all other 2002s, ca. '74-'75, having black interiors. Stated differently, I don't believe BMW upgraded the carpet for the turbo model, despite the substantial upgrade of the seats. You might, thus, be able to expand your search for good photos of original carpet to include all black-interior '02s from '74-'75 (and I wouldn't be surprised if you could throw '76 into that mix: I've never noted a difference between '75 and '76 carpets).

Beware: carpets fade even on consistently-garaged cars. The carpets on my '76 -- always garaged -- are original but I know they are at least "2 steps" lighter than they were in '76! My interior is Marine Blue with blue multi-color carpets so that certainly won't help you from a color perspective, but I suspect the style and texture of this typical '76 carpet match the style and texture of a turbo's carpet. The first photo is current; the second photo, admittedly on a darker day, was taken in 1983.

Good luck,

Steve

post-41123-0-59582100-1394539260_thumb.j

post-41123-0-17004300-1394539864_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)