• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I promise I searched...new owner help

turbotom09

Well I've owned my '02 for a couple months now (I will make an introduction thread when I'm not at work; photobucket is blocked here) and I have a slight leak in my windshield seal when it rains hard. I put clear silicone on it to fix it temporarily, but i finally ordered in the new seal.

My only question: is the lockstrip a universal part? Will a windshield shop be able to cut one, or do i need to order the strip? (If so where from?)

Also, any Dayton, Oh shops you guys would recommend?

Thanks a ton, I've already found gobs of helpful information on here!

75 Inka 2002-"Holly"

92 240sx KA-T

94 Infiniti G20T-"Eloise"

04 ZX6RR-"Mia"

Hi we can get you that strip for sure you better not try some sort of universal one. Give me a call and I will fix you up with one they are not expensive.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

the only other car that uses the same profile

locking trim strip is a SAAB 99 from the 1960's - 70's

as you can see in the illustration, the sides need to lock into the rubber

seal with the proper shape. It's important to expand the rubber

so the glass stays on the car when you colide with something

and your body trys to exit the cabin. Also expanding the rubber

to seal against water leaks. Order the correct strip today

Apillars02E21303646.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Order from BLUNT. he includes free ice cream with every order.

;-)Ray

THAT'S what that white goo was in my parcel!!!!!

Now for the useful information: The lower corners can be a PITA to get set in. Look through the archives to see the methods that people here use. Some go for the installing the glass/seal/lockstrip all at once, others go for the glass/seal install, then put in the lock strip. Foamy glass cleaner is the preferred install lubricant. Spend the extra dollars and get a REAL BMW seal. The second sourced ones have a hit or miss reputation.

Search to find out about the locking teeth or 'gator strips' that were used on the early cars . these need to be removed (drill out a few small brass rivets)before installing a new windsheild. May have already been done, or may have never been on your car. I know they were on the early cars, not sure about the later ones.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Steve,

Would you recommend I try the install myself? I can turn a wrench, but I've never attempted anything to do with windows(other than easy stuff like regulators)

I'll make sure i get some aerosol window cleaner.

And I ordered an aftermarket seal, but not a URO as I've heard of bad experiences with those.

75 Inka 2002-"Holly"

92 240sx KA-T

04 ZX6RR-"Mia"

If you have not done this before and you do not have any help that has done this before, go to a shop. 15 minutes and short money and it is done and leak free.

Find a shop with an old dude in it. He will whip it out in a lickity split

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

There are pros and cons.

Like Bill said, if you have help, it is do-able. I've had some glass go in easy, and some was a beyotch. My less skilled neigbor cracked the corner on one windsheild by pressing a bit too hard. (He was used to replacing airliner glass) If you do it yourself, you get satisfaction, cost savings, and set your own schedule to do the work. You will also stand the risk of breaking things, working like hell and still not getting it to seat, and burning up the better part of a Saturday.

If you have a shop do it, you will: pay money, have to wonder if they really know their stuff, worry that they won't treat your car with the care that you do. Of course, if they break it, they pay for it. If it leaks, they fix it.

You could almost make this into a flowchart to come to a decision.

Another tip, leave the new seal and lockstrip set out in the sun- it helps make them more pliable for the install.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Guest Anonymous

I've never installed a windshield before, but I vaguely recall reading that the trickiest part is installing the lockstrip after window is mounted. If that's the case, it may not be too bad. I replaced the lockstrip on my rear window this summer, and was surprised to find it was a much easier job than I thought it would be. You need the right tool and I think it helped that I installed it when it was warm.

Of course if you can find a professional who can do the job at a reasonable prince, that might be the easiest option.

Good luck!

Self or Shop: I just did mine 3 times in 1 week, to get it set properly, and it's still not 100%. This isn't the first time I've done one. I'll have a shop do it next time. Your biggest challenge will be getting the seal to lay flat on the metal, all the way around.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,278563/highlight,/

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Looking for a Dayton, OH shop? I think we can all recommend Mike Self (Mr. '02 himself). I'm pretty sure he's close to Dayton. You can find him thru the FAQ.

mac.

Mike and Jim Denker both use Mike Macarthy (sp?) Not sure the name of his shop, but I am sure they will notice this thread soon.

Great to see a new owner pop up!!! But dang, you just missed our annual gtg and drive!! Can't wait to meet up!

-Jason

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,363501/highlight,/

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

in and around Dayton (I'm in Beavercreek), and a larger active group in SW Ohio. Drop me an e-mail off-line and I'll put you in touch with Jason (Eurotrash on the board) and Jim (Sahara 75) who keep the roster and perpetrate many of the events.

If you're looking for a good mechanical shop in the area, try Foreign Auto Service in Huber Heights. Mike McCarthy owns several 2002s and has been working on 'em since the 70s. Bodywork: C&H in Fairborn. Ed has done at least a dozen 2002, including both of mine.

As for your windshield leak--most any good glass shop should be able to squirt some sealer in between the gasket, glass and body to stop the leak. If your gasket is old/brittle/cracked, get a new factory gasket, not an aftermarket one. Only the factory gasket fits correctly.

cheers from just down the road

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys! I was actually down at foreign auto service a couple weeks ago, and met Mike. He gave me an extra fender he had laying around (very nice guy). I should be getting my new seal within the next few days, I don't think I will try to tackle it myself, I don't want a cracked windshield!

75 Inka 2002-"Holly"

92 240sx KA-T

04 ZX6RR-"Mia"