• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Smog Equipment from a CA 1971 02.

1971Ginger

All USA 2002s had air injection pumps, AKA smog pumps, from the beginning of production in 1968 until the E12 cylinder heads were fitted in mid-1972.

This new "trispherical" combustion chamber burned clean enough so that the 73 and 74 cars didn't need pumps, but the tightening emissions requirements put 'em back on the 75 and 76 cars. And it was 50 state, not just California. Also all 68-71 US 1600s had pumps. Only the 66-67 cars (pre-emissions laws) didn't.

My 69 (bought new) had all that stuff...it mysteriously disappeared about 1972...and now lurks in my basement. Just in case. No pump on the '73, just EGR valve and attendent plumbing and relays...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

After all the 2002's I have seen and owned I have never seen airpumps emmison manifolds on anything but 75-76. Thanks for the education...

Air pump and reactor systems are two different beasts. If I have this figured correctly, the air pump is just as it states, an air pump. It forces in fresh air to thin the exhaust gasses, to meet a smog standard of the day. (Modern diesel engines use a similar concept to meet exhaust temp regulations.) Its total smoke and mirrors.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Its total smoke and mirrors.

Not quite totally

the extra oxygen pumped into the exhaust will reduce CO and HC emissions a bit, but not as much as if there were a cat.

Patrick Owens

www.OopsClunkThud.com

BMW 2002 US manufactured on April 17th, 1969, colour was Granada, paint code 023.