• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap DIY M10 Wooden Engine Storage Cart / Stand

I recently swapped out the engine in my 68 02 project but wanted to hang on to the original numbers matching engine and someday have it rebuilt. I have a basic engine stand but it takes up a lot of room and I was hoping to stash the engine in a closet to keep it out of sight. I’ve seen some others here on the FAQ build beefy looking engine storage carts, but I don’t weld and I’m not very clever. Inspired by a cardboard box with similar dimensions, I made this wooden storage cart/stand for about $15. I decided to keep the flywheel and clutch together with the engine so I had to chisel out some material to allow the rear support to slide between the oil pan and flywheel, but it wasn’t too difficult. I used a 2” hole saw to allow clearance for the oil drain plug. The low profile ball bearning casters from Harbor Freight allow the cart to roll easy on concrete and the engine isn’t too tipsy since the oilpan is riding about 2” from the ground.

Materials: (1x) - 2x8x8, (8x) 3” Lag Bolts & Washers, (4x) Ball Bearing Casters, (8x) Wood Screws

Lumber Dimensions: (2x) 20” (2x) 8.50”

2m35nr6.jpg

Ball Bearing Caster Example:

66053365.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

That's also a good way to ship your engine, if needed. Fasten the wooden stand (minus casters) to a pallet and strap the engine down to it. Add a garbage bag and a large box to cover it and you're good to go.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Nice. I was thinking of this as I have a corner of the garage that I want to put my new 1950's craftsman drill press in, but I have to do something with my old motor that's on a stand.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades