• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Help and EFI Conversion

tdk930

I am planning to build a turbo motor but the 1st step is getting the fuel injection running on the car. I have a couple of heads that I can use and I was wondering if somone could help me beter understand them.

Head #1 is stamped 74 and its from a 2002 that is supposed to be reworked with a cam. I pulled the cover and if its a Dr Shrick cam, i don't see the writing on it... How do i tell if any work has been done? What do i look for? I can post a picture if that would help. My guess is that this is the best head.

Head #2 is from a 84 1.8L 84 E30 that i bought to get the EFI intake. The injectors go in the intake on this motor. Is this head stronger or better than the 2002 head? Any benefits over the 2002 head?

Head #3 came with some EFI parts that i bought and its a complete head and intake. The injectors are in the head and not on the intake. It stamped 81 1.8L. is this useable on an M10 convert?

Will these all fit the M10? Are any stroner than the other? Has anyone converted a car with the FI in the head? It looks more complicated to me but i could be wrong. Looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Todd

I'm not sure how much experience you have with these motors, so in your place I'd take all 3 to a machinist you trust and ask her/him to measure them all pretty carefully for thickness, taper and warp.

Then I'd take them all apart and see which one had the best cam bearings, and from which the rocker rods and cam removed most freely. Actually, I might do this first, then see how the valve guides were when the machinist looked at it.

If one's a standout winner, use it. If they're all good, and you're planning a turbo, I'd be biased toward the 1.8 with the injectors outside the head, but there's no real reason putting the injectors in the head is bad. It might actually be a better position for atomization.

My 3rd choice would be the E12 head, simply because it's older. But if it was in better shape than the 1.8's, I'd have no reservations about using it. It's what I race with.

Pistons will then match to whatever head you have. Cam choice for a turbo's different than a N/A car, but you probably knew that. The Schrick part number/designator will be on the nose of the cam somewhere.

These are just my opinions, so take them as such. Well, except about the cam and pistons...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL