• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stalling issue

jmr_1602

Lately my car has been stalling out on me while underload. Usually while im in 2nd or 3rd gear with the rpm range between 3k-4k. The car idles just fine (@1k) and starts up rather quickly in the morning.

Car has a single 45dcoe (jetted to recommendations from the faq), and electronic ignition (crane fireball).

I used the search and read probably over 20 threads, and so far I've:

*reset timing @ 1500rpms with 0 dwell

*replaced fuel filter

*checked fuel pump out take (within normal range.)

*cleaned out my carb (all jets, tubes, filter, etc...)

Im not sure what else to do. Could it be my idle mixture? I don't remember messing with it for awhile.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Guest Anonymous

it's noit the idle mixture, because it idles OK. More likely starved for fuel under load. Weak fuel pump? clogged pickup in the fuel tank? Carb float mis-adjusted?

Forgot to mention I replaced the screen in the fuel tank last Summer. Hopefully it did'nt fall off when I reinstalled.

I thought I ruled out the fuel pump since it's output was within normal range. Perhaps something is happening while on the road?

My float has no cracks (plastic kind.) I'll check the float needle (real name escapes me right now.)

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I had a buddy find a plastic bag in his tank. Car would Irie fine but when accelerating, the high fuel flow would lodge the bag over the sender and kill the car.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Guest Anonymous

you use more fuel under load than you do at idle, so a weak fuel pump or a clog might let enough fuel in to run at idle, but not at higher speed.

make sure the jets are all clean, especially the transition holes and secondary jets. a little spec of dirt can go a long way.

remove the top cover and check the jets closest to the head, there are a number of small passages and holes in there which can get gummed up.

Thanks for all the replies.

I forgot to check for any vacuum leaks, so I'll do that. If I find none, I think I'm going to try replacing my electronic fuel pump and rubber fuel lines. Also my fuel pump is in my engine bay, I know its recommended for it to be close to the tank. Perhaps thats the problem.

It's probably just coincidence, but before I left school today, I adjusted my idle mixture screws (opened them up a bit) and adjusted my rpm's from 800 to around 1000. Had no problems the whole way home unlike this morning when it stalled out on me 3-4 times.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

right after it stalls, coast to the side of the road and look into the float

chamber to see what the fuel level was ..............

does the engine stay OFF for a period of time?

do you have to pull over and let it sit for a period

then crank it over to restart it ?

does it fire right up after it stalls/ - like in seconds?

while thge car is still moving ?

you might also attach a long test lead/volt meter

to the coil to see if it's ignition power switch off?

monitor it from the drivers seat while driving

under those conditions that causes the problem

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD:

Usually when it stalls I'll coast to the side of the road, and it will fire up on the 2nd or 3rd try of turning the ignition. I have started it while still moving as well (2 or 3 turns of the ignition.) It usually doesn't take me more than 5-15 seconds to get her going again.

***UPDATE***

I think I may have figured out my problem. I just need some co-signers.

While letting my car idle and checking for vacuum leaks (found none) I noticed the fuel pump sounded like it quit working for a split second. I wasn't sure, so I kept one hand on my fuel pump because I can feel it vibrate while its pumping fuel. While doing that I opened up my throttle for a few seconds, and I could feel my pump stop for a quick second, then begin pumping again.

I'm going to buy a new pump tomorrow, and I'm hoping that cures my stalling issues. It does feel like a fuel starvation issue. Does it sound like I found my problem????

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

jeesuss! you didn't tell us you had an electric pump?!?!

just the reason NOT to install one

stay mechanical - stay reliable

added e-pump, wires, mountings all lead to unreliable

noisy, over pressured fuel system doomed to fail

when done poorly with poor quality part and installation

mechanical pump usually last's 20++ years and does

just fine

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD. LOL. Im not sure why I failed to mention that I had a electronic fuel pump. I guess I thought it was in good working order since it's out put was fine at idle.

For now I'm going to replace it with the same pump, but I'll switch back to stock when I replace my head soon. Thanks for the insight!

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

UPDATE

Today I installed a new electronic fuel pump. My original one was in my engine bay and I moved this new one to my trunk. It's a lot quieter than my old one (same model tho.)

After installing, I took my car out for a spin, and noticed it still had stalling issues in 2nd and 3rd gear, but never died. I decided to adjust my single 45 dcoe cause prior I had my idle mixture screws almost all the way out. Anyhow I probably tightened them about 5 turns in, and adjusted my throttle. Took another quick trip, and my stalling issues are gone.

I'm not sold that I've fixed the problem, so I'll take it for a spin later tonight and tomorrow morning. If I don't run into any hiccups I'll consider case closed.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602