• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any guess as to how old this rust is?

austinmf

The car was painted within a year. Pulling apart trim, I am seeing rust with a nice coat of paint over it. How long would it take for rust like this to develop?

I am also getting bubbles all over the paint, based on this, I am assuming I need to strip to bare metal and repaint the entire car?

post-20302-13667649856629_thumb.jpg

post-20302-13667649861456_thumb.jpg

post-20302-13667649866297_thumb.jpg

post-20302-13667649871189_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Looks like either poor prep or someone painted a rusty car and flipped it. Did you have the car before paint? If so did it have rust there before the paint happened?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I did not have the car previously. I bought it from a local repair shop that had it painted.

It is looking exactly like a flip and ditch. It is sloppy from top to bottom and there is rust bubbles popping up all over. It is a mix of grafted seals, poorly finished bondo and shoddy wrenching.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

it looks like they just didnt painted thoses area. there is evidence of a tape cut out and theses rust spots are behind trims, so they didnt remvoed trims either.

ive seen worse things, its not final imho.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I did not have the car previously. I bought it from a local repair shop that had it painted.

It is looking exactly like a flip and ditch. It is sloppy from top to bottom and there is rust bubbles popping up all over. It is a mix of grafted seals, poorly finished bondo and shoddy wrenching.

Man, that's a shame. Whilst I have no experience with "said" shop, it did seem to have a good rep.

Looks like Malaga paint there; is that the original colour?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It was Malaga... makes it easy to see where they taped and where they covered.

The green and red makes it look sort of like Christmas but the presents under the tree SUCK and every time I unwrap another, I find one more disappointment.

Like Les, I am very surprised about the condition of that car. I remember when it was for sale. I've never dealt with the shop in question, but I know it has a good reputation. That definitely looks like a car that was poorly resprayed for a quick sell. Odd that they would have changed it from Malaga to Turkis, though... Malaga is actually a very attractive color for these cars, while Turkis is... polarizing...

If you're looking for a decent starting point, there's a fjord square tail for sale locally (Dallas). I believe it was a CA car until recently. Has a sunroof, five speed and working a/c. Could use a few things and the paint job isn't top notch, but it's a pretty solid starting point. Not a concours candidate, but a great driver car. I forget the price, but I recall it being very low. If you are interested, send me an email above and I'll put you in touch with the owner (don't think he is on the FAQ). I haven't looked at it closely in 6 months, but it's definitely more solid than what you're showing us.

Sorry to hear you got the bad end of a deal! I hate seeing stuff like this. That probably was a really good car that just needed a little proper work.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Its a shame I'm on the same spot as you previous owner just sprayed on top of rust in my case. Well I had some bubbling and I started to peel the paint and turns out the rust though superficial, is all over the place below the areas that looked healthy.

I'm taking my power tools and working on it going to prime it and leave it alone while I work on the engine.

So guess what I'm saying is this happens a lot with these cars happened to me too with the 730 and yours is not the worst I've seen.

Best luck!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Please put me in touch. I still have not hit the front but this one is looking like a parts car.

Thank you for the support!

Send me an email above - yours is set so I can't email you.

I don't know if he'd want me to put his phone number out for the public to see.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara