• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 BMW M42 swap

Harland

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as im doing the same swap right now this is kinda my bible! i also have a 2002 flywheel and clutch spare! So really interested in how you did that!

Hey man so what did you use for a starter with your M10 Flywheel?  Everyone over on M42 Board says you can't put an M10 Flywheel on an M42.  So just curious.  Thanks Dylan.

I had taken a look at using my old M10 flywheel and clutch pack on my M42 before I put the transmission on. I believe the issue was the starter ring gear teeth had a completely different pitch than the M42 ring gear. The M10 flywheel might have been a smaller diameter as well, and I know for sure that the entire assembly of the M10 clutch pack and flywheel was a different height than that of the M42's.

I don't know how he could have used the M10 stuff honestly.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

I had taken a look at using my old M10 flywheel and clutch pack on my M42 before I put the transmission on. I believe the issue was the starter ring gear teeth had a completely different pitch than the M42 ring gear. The M10 flywheel might have been a smaller diameter as well, and I know for sure that the entire assembly of the M10 clutch pack and flywheel was a different height than that of the M42's.

the plot thickens haha!!

I did it and it works fine for me....The car has been my daily drive ever since i did the swap. squeaks a little bit when i start it, also i shimmed the stock starter slightly. single mass flywheel is awesome.

bmw2002walnut,st_opt (1).jpg

74' 2002

hey Ludvig did you use the 2002 throwout bearing or the m42s? also do i use the m42 or m10 bolts? ive dug out my m10 flywheel and clutch and i pick up the engine tonight so cant wait to give it a try!

regards

dave

Dave, use the throw out bearing from the Getrag 240. M42 trans... Although ive done some research about euro 323i throw out bearings, i think that will fit better.

Also you need a spacer between the flywheel and crank to make it work. i had my machinist make one.

Ludvig,

I like those rims. I'm thinking they would look great on my Verona.  Wanna send them to me and I'll post a pic for ya?

Looks like you are making some progess there.  Look forward to more posts.

Haha yeah i need to get those bad boys powder coated before i get em mounted. 

74' 2002

Dave, use the throw out bearing from the Getrag 240. M42 trans... Although ive done some research about euro 323i throw out bearings, i think that will fit better.

Also you need a spacer between the flywheel and crank to make it work. i had my machinist make one.

Haha yeah i need to get those bad boys powder coated before i get em mounted. 

thanks Ludvig i will get it all together and see how the spacer needs to be made. any idea off hand what depth? unfortunately i dont have the g240 bearing :o

the g250 bearing is in the tranny i might see if it will work if not i will try find a g240 bearing

i will give it a shot getting it together but might need to ask a few more questions at some point! hope thats ok and thanks for the awesome help so far

Dave

The M10 flywheel is pretty easy to fit actually (I've done it to a M50, but the M42 should be the same)

Recipe:

M10 228mm flywheel

E30 325i pressure plate and clutch disc

Dual mass E36/E34 M12x1.5x50 flywheel bolts (11 22 2 243 051)

323i throwout bearing (the tall one)

Remove the ring gear from both flywheels, some tapping around with a hammer should do the trick, otherwise try heating it a little.

Toss the M42/M50 ring gear into the stove, it has to expand 1-2mm IIRC, so it needs to heat up quite a bit (not red hot, but close)

Pick it up, preferably not with your bare hands, drop it around the M10 flywheel and make sure it's on there solidly and even.

Let it cool down for a bit.

Shorten the flywheel bolts a bit, not sure how much it was, just measure the thread depth in the crankshaft, the thickness of the flywheel itself and do the math.

Make sure the shortened bolts get something of a bevel back onto the ends so they don't ruin the thread in your crankshaft.

And don't forget to use thread sealant.

Assemble.

I've used the shorter E30 TOB and had to lengthen the slave cylinder rod a bit (10-15mm IIRC)

So far the entire setup has been working perfectly for some 35000km in my E28.

Edited by 4x2

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

• 2 months later...

Distractions from my 02

Built this 75 CB360t for camping and what not.
Low budget first build,
rebuilt the motor and trans.
still needs some work.
oh and that seat is just temporary while my seat pan is getting upholstered.

post-40100-0-55910500-1376124546_thumb.j

post-40100-0-74797700-1376124561_thumb.j

post-40100-0-72445900-1376124574_thumb.j

post-40100-0-43302500-1376124588_thumb.j

post-40100-0-76259400-1376124664_thumb.j

Also picked up this BMW for roadtrips.

post-40100-0-92844600-1376124954_thumb.j

Edited by Ludvig02

74' 2002

• 1 year later...