• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these relays?

weewass

On the first image, These are relays mounted to the firewall above the brake booster.

The second picture, I know the three round ones are the light relays, but there's a large square shaped one to the right of it. Anyone know what this is?

TIA

post-20148-13667650073679_thumb.jpg

post-20148-13667650076356_thumb.jpg

WEEWASS

R53 Mini Cooper S

'75 2002 (Sold)

B5 S4 (Sold)

B5 Passat (Sold)

Yes, voltage regulator is the rectangular next to the three round. I know the large box to the right in the first photo is emisions related, and I suspect the boxes to the left are as well. Mine is a 73, so I don't (didn't) have quite as many odd devices under the hood.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Guest Anonymous

The square emissions relays are standard auto-style relays that are plug-in replacements for your round relays or the newer style square plastic relays.

I use one as my electric engine fan relay.

There's an actual FAQ IIRC, for removal of all that stuff. But you need to strip out and reuse the clear resistor wire that runs to your coil.

Here's my write up on it, but I worked off the post I mentioned above..

http://1leadshoe.blogspot.com/2011/02/smog-harness-removal.html

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

you would want to do a search and find the photo - somewhere? - that shows the loom and parts that can be removed - I did it on my '76 (including the parts on the firewall) - but there is one caveat and I'm sure you've already done it - the wire from number 12 fuse to the positive side of the coil -- good luck

1976 2002 No. 2740935 - Engine from '75 No. 2362593 w/ cyl head off '77 320i ~~