• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 EFI Swap and turbo

V00V

Hey guys I am gearing up to tear the 02 back down. I have had lil blue up and running for a month from the engine rebuild. Now that I know that the bottom end rebuild and the head work is solid, I am ready to start the Mega squirt electronic fuel injection conversion. During this I will be adding a Volvo TD04 turbo and as well as a Getrag 5spd.

IMAG0352

IMAG0524

SNC00213

I replaced the old starter with a brand new E30 M3 starter (BOSCH SR 440 X). The factory starter and bracket will not clear the 320i intake manifold and throttle body. Although I am not using the 320i throttle body I will need the space regardless of the throttle body I use. The M3 starter is about half the size and weight of the factory starter and MUCH more powerful.

A little bit of info for anyone installing the m3 starter.

-The bracket is no longer needed to support the starter.

-When hooking up the electrical terminals you MUST attach the wire to middle post on the bottom terminal on the rear of the starter. There is an upper and a lower terminal. If you attach the wire to the upper terminal the starter will spin freely and not engage the flywheel.

-It is VERY frustrating to have to take off the manifold twice because you did not check your work... so unplug the coil and give it a few cranks before you put the intake manifold back in place. Just to make sure the starter is engaging the flywheel.

SNC00213

This is my parts stockpile.

320i intake manifold

320i fuel injectors

320i fuel rail

320i throttle body

MegaSquirt II

RC Engineering 550cc injectors

Volvo TD04 turbocharger

T3 exhaust manifold

I am adding to this list daily

Tonight I am working on a battery relocation...

I will post pictures and a write up tomorrow.

SNC00213

Good luck with your project! I also just picked up a Mitsubishi TD04H 13C turbo out of a '91 Volvo 740. Yeah, its a low boost turbo, but Im only looking for modest power gains. Im using an E30 318i intake manifold, fuel rail and throttle body. Ive had my car fuel injected for about 5 months now and it runs very well. Cant wait to boost it!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!