• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key for Locking Gas Cap

TBBMW

I know this is a stretch, but I have a couple of the older style locking gas caps that I have lost the keys for. Is there a way to get a replacement?

DSC_0570.jpg

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

the subject There are actually three different styles of factory locking gas caps, and all take different keys.

Yours (pictured) is the style that was available when squarelights were new; it has an oval/diamond-shaped keyhole cover. Earlier ones have a round, pot metal keyhole cover; the ones available now have no keyhole cover.

Archive threads list the key blanks for all three varieties. I have a few for the early style but not yours. Fortunately they are much easier to find than the early style blanks.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the subject There are actually three different styles of factory locking gas caps, and all take different keys.

Yours (pictured) is the style that was available when squarelights were new; it has an oval/diamond-shaped keyhole cover. Earlier ones have a round, pot metal keyhole cover; the ones available now have no keyhole cover.

Archive threads list the key blanks for all three varieties. I have a few for the early style but not yours. Fortunately they are much easier to find than the early style blanks.

cheers

mike

Thanks Mike... I did a search but did not find any threads that did dealt with folks that lost their keys.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

Found this post from 2007...

And he posted pictures.....

Date: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:54 pm

From: GolfYellowTii in Moreno Valley, Ca View user's profile Send e-mail

Subject: Re: Locking gas cap spare key--I had one made some years ago

I was not able to locate the two key blanks suggested. I found a old school locksmith that didn't have a computer to look up keys. He just went in back and started searching and found a working replacement. The replacement was actually a mailbox key. The key is an Ilco 1180S XL7. It is actually a little thicker then the original key and also has an extra relief cut into one side, but work fine. It is a big harder to get in and out of the key hole but nothing major. I've attached pictures of my cap with the key hole so everyone can know which type of locking cap I am talking about. This is for the one with the flap with a stamped keyhole cover, not the eailer one with the cast keyhole cover.

In the second picture you can see what I mean with that extra relief. The old key had a thickness of 1.75mm and the new one is 1.87mm and just fits.

Mike I e-mail you this information, but don't know if you got it.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

the gas caps I have are the early (roundie) style, and they use a different key. After a bunch of research, I finally found the correct key blank for the early style gas caps. The current number is ILCO H62VG; might be hard to find at a lock shop, but can be ordered through a True Value hardware store (but you have to buy ten)

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

good. He cut keys for some of my 02s. I would recommend going to him.

He's about 2 doors south of the Flat Iron restaurant, on the same side of the street. Good luck.

Rob

Hey there Rob!

Thanks for the info... I hope he can help me out.

Good to hear you are still in the 2002 arena!

I am just about ready to get rid of the tii. I don't seem to have as much time as I used to.....

TB

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

If the cap was purchased around 1974-75 them the blank for is (ilco 1125H-H5), and the key number is C9. I may have an extra one I can give you thanks to a FAQ'er who did the same for me.

Mike D

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

If the cap was purchased around 1974-75 them the blank for is (ilco 1125H-H5), and the key number is C9. I may have an extra one I can give you thanks to a FAQ'er who did the same for me.

Mike D

It would be greatly appreciated.... I will email you.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

Mike D

Mike got me in touch with John who lives here in Georgia. John sent me his key and I got some copies made today. Thanks to MikeD and John Henard I have my period correct locking gas cap for my '74 working again.

This is a great board with a great community of folks!

John's key is the Curtis H3 on the far right. The copies are Ilco 1125G (I think the Ilco-1125H -(h6/h5) works also.

DSC_0674.jpg

My next quest is to find a key for the other cap shown here on the right.... If you notice the key hole, it appears to be the reverse of the original BMW locking cap.

DSC_0675.jpg

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

• 1 year later...