• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flares and wheels revisited

azaps

Hi.

The work on my "ugly duckling" has progressed to the point of getting new wheels/tires. I know that this subject has been discussed hundreds of times (and I've read them all;-) but nowhere had I seen example of the proper size and especially OFFSET of wheels that will nicely fill ALPINA TYPE fenders and rear flares (not the Turbo ones).

I'd like to try (Rotas?) 15X7 front and 15X8 rear, with 195 and/or 225 tires, but I need the proper offset information.

The car will have more of a rally rather then race look, think - not too low, something like here:

Any help as usually will be appreciated,

Azaps

2003 525iT (5spd)

2002 325Ci (5spd)

2007 328i

1976 2002

If you have the right offset you will not need flares. One of the 2002 guys I know in the Bay Area runs 8" wide wheels and all he did was have the fenders rolled a tad.

Calculate your offset on here.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

It also helps to think of offset as back space some times.

Read this.

http://www.bmw2002.com/tech/bmw-wheels.html

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

...."If you have the right offset you will not need flares..."

Well... - I want the flares. My vision of a perfect 2002 is a '70s rally car, with flares, extra Cibie lights a no front bumper. Next project will probably be a "lets go original" way, but not this one.

Thanks for the links, I'll make good use of them..

Azaps

2003 525iT (5spd)

2002 325Ci (5spd)

2007 328i

1976 2002

Got'cha! I like that look as well, and plan to go close to the same rout with my 2002.

I just wanted to let you know that, just encase you did not want to, you did not need to use the flares.

I would give you the exact offset numbers as I have done the calculations my self, but I did not right them down and do not remember them. lol

I think you want to shoot for a back space of around 4.5". Remember you can also use spacers to correct fitment ones you have the wheels. There is nothing wrong with using spacers at all, but most people do not run anything bigger then 1/2".

This is another very helpful calculating tool!

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I have Alpina flares. My fronts are from Mana Motorsport and the rears are IE's. I have 13x7's right now, but will be upgrading to 13x8 et-0 with 205/60/13 tires. For the rears I think anywhere between et-0 to et -10 would fill out the flare nicely.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I believe et 0 will not fill a pig cheek flare enough... I run what I believe to be one of the largest offsets Ive seen on 13s..et negative 12. I would think w/ the bubble pig cheek style flare one would want at least a negative 6 or 7 at the least...w/ neg 12 being about the most.

oops..I see you are to run 15s...Im not sure about those

here is a 13 inch wheel...neg 12 offset. Ive spoken to the car's owner over and over...lol

You're kidding! You actually spoke to the owner of a "Rally 1, 2 and 3" video car?! That's almost exactly the look I am trying to achieve (except, with the 15" wheels - because of the "Big Brake Kit").

I'm just slightly surprised that after all those years I can't get the direct size and offset number, including from the flares manufacturers/wholesalers.

Azaps

2003 525iT (5spd)

2002 325Ci (5spd)

2007 328i

1976 2002

..I tracked him down!!!.......and we went over some of the car's specs...Herb Rieter I recall......he no longer owns her. I think the BMW Museum does.

My BBK( volvo) fits in the 13's w/ the neg 12 offset!!!!!!...i did shave the caliper a wee bit!

you must do 13's for a proper look!!!....lol

Hi,

you are absolutely right, look at the pic of my car, this is 8x13 ET1 (tyres Yokohama A048 205/60) , you see there is much space, sometimes I have 8x13 ET-12 at the rear.

You´re also right, Herberts car had Compomotive ML1380 with ET -12. And yes, the new owner is BMW, because it was an original BMW Works Rallycar.

W.

post-16036-13667650437711_thumb.jpg

I'd start with zero offset, then maybe add spacers.

Thing is, when you go much over zero with a 8" + tire,

you run into a lot of other clearance problems when turning.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'd start with zero offset, then maybe add spacers.

Thing is, when you go much over zero with a 8" + tire,

you run into a lot of other clearance problems when turning.

t

ToeB

I haven't noticed this....but my 15s did kiss up against inner fender well on some parking maneuvers. The 13s on 8s w/ neg 12 don't appear to be rubbing at all? Tell me where to look and Ill check it again!......thnx