• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMWCCA OFest pics

jp02ti

took the ti to O'Fest this year, along with the e46 330Xi.

the 330Xi did a great job on the track at Barber Motorsports park. the awd was a blast through the many turns and I managed to get a really good feel for the track.

attached are a few pictures of significance. the last time there were 2 genuine 2002ti in the same place at the same time was 1988, at Oktoberfest in Rochester, to the best of my knowledge.

it was great to see everybody again. Vince, your car never ceases to amaze me. such a storied past, and a solid trouper. great to see you again too. it was fun driving the rally and catching a glimps of you in the rearview down the straight sections!

for BONUS points, name the original CCA member appearing in the second pic.

post-315-13667650515226_thumb.jpg

post-315-13667650516485_thumb.jpg

post-315-13667650517713_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

Yes, great seeing you and the ti as well! The rally was fun, though we were running non-comp.

Mine is back in it's garage, washed and nuzzled up against my sidecar rig. Entire trip was uneventful, ran fine.

I think next year I'll give it a rest and take something else.

Great trivia question about the member in the picture, I won't spoil it, but I know them both well....

I've tried to attach a picture of the last time two tis were together at Oktoberfest 1988.

post-315-13667650530135_thumb.jpg

OK, not to be negative, BUT, I have kept away from O'Fest due to my fears of the potential high cost and a sense that I'd be lost in a sea of wealthy new-bimmer-owners. Tell me why I should attend O'fest; in all seriousness. I would like to know if I should go to O'fest..... Thanks!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Hi Jim,

It is a fair question, and I have actually been pondering the answer since before you asked your specific question. It’s a serious question for the club, which I believe will face a crisis in the next few years.

I’ve been going to O’Fest since 1975, I was 11 months at the time. I’ve been to 11 in total, and will continue to go whenever time, money and distance allow. Why do I go? Let me try to answer this question before I digress too deeply…

1. The cars. I love BMWs, of all ages and types. There were some great old vintage BMWs there, the ti was among some cool 2002s, E9, E3 and M1, not to mention the really old stuff. However, I also saw some new metal, such as a host of 1Ms which were really amazing, all the way up to some very nice 7 series cars. Literally everything in between.

2. Old Friends – over the years I’ve gotten to know lots of the regulars, if not by name then by sight or reputation. Its nice to say hi, and catch up face to face rather than through e-mail for a chance.

3. New Friends – this year we met a really nice couple from Houston. We sat and chatted over Spaten beer for a while before discovering that they lived 1 street over from us 5 years ago. That was very cool.

4. The driving events – I try to squeeze out every ounce if driving pleasure during the event. That makes it more expensive, but I only get a chance every few years, and I don’t spend much on my hobby at other times. This year I hit 5 events: the concourse (display category), gymkhana, auto-x, driver’s school and TSD rally. I had a blast, and got to drive my cars as the German engineers intended – flat out!

Now let me address your question about snobbery. Sure, there probably was some, at some point, somewhere. But I didn’t see it this year, or any other time I’ve driven my 2002 to a BMW CCA event. Even when I drove my seriously ratty ’70 with rattle can paint. There is genuine interest amongst members, many of whom are enthusiasts, not just car owners. It takes extra effort to come to an o’fest, and the average car owner would not bother. I like to ask about their car too, whatever it is, because it is special to them, and they thought it worthwhile bringing it too.

That being said, in many of the events I felt amongst the youngest, and while I’m under 40 still, I’m not that far away. The club needs to figure out how to attract my generation because the founding fathers are passing away, as we were reminded this year with the passing of Diana Slocomb, wife of founder Joseph Chamberlain. I don’t know what the answer is, but a portion of it must reside with getting the message about the club out to younger constituents – this is fun, and it is worth it.

Its late, and I digress. Hopefully you can sense my enjoyment and passion.

Thanks for reading,

Jon Poole

I agree, I've been to 14- driving everything from a Bavaria to an E24 M6 to my Club Sport. The '02 and vintage folks are definitely NOT looked down upon.

Bailey Taylor

1975 2002A

1995 318ti Club Sport

2004 X3 2.5

1999 Wrangler Sahara

2007 Mazdaspeed3

1996 Triumph Speed Triple

let me break it down for you:

Hotel - we ended up spending around $750 for the week. we could have done it cheaper though. we elected to stay onsite at the resort since it was a vacation for my wife as much as it was a driving event for me. could have done it for $250 or so.

Events: total was again about $750. I registered my wife for the social package so she could attend all of the evening events with me. what did I get for that?

check out the link here for the registration packages form this year:

http://www.bmwccaofest.org/home.phtml

Barber Motorsports was a fantastic track, clean and smooth, and nice and wide.

The receptions were really good this year, the food was great and there was LOTS of free Spaten beer for everybody.

I didn't get to run the Car control clinic, which I would really have liked to, and I also didn't get to the fun rally.

All in all, considering everything that was put on I think the price was more than fair.

total cost, all in was probably around $1700, including GAS for 2 cars and food.

hope that helps,

Jon

Ofest is over.

I guess I din't win the raffle...again.

They tagged it as the "car of your dreams" raffle. The car of my dreams wasn't a new M whatever or a hopped up a and a half series, but rather a fully restored 72 2002tii and an 88 E30M3.

The 2002 will have to live with an oxdized 3 tone paint job for a while longer...maybe next year.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Ofest is over.

I guess I din't win the raffle...again.

..maybe next year.

I entered at the last moment - then they extended it. Talk about mass e-mailing. I was hoping to win a new car to replace my old Honda.

I was really tempted to drive to B'ham for this event. I have relatives that I could have stayed with. BUT - work has been crazy and the funds are tight, so I went another year without going.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

hope you can convince him. Had to miss this year (first one I've missed since 2005) due to conflicting travel and I really hated to. My favorite part of Ofest is seeing all my old friends; the cars are just a bonus.

There are always 2002 owners there, and no snobbery at all. We're not the PCA after all! I always have a great time, and my 02 gets more attention than the newer cars.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I forgot my manners! Sorry, Jon. Thanks for answering my questions.

I love the grass roots local events that can be attended on the cheap! I won't rule out O'fest, but I am concerned that the cost will knock out some of my favorites in that calendar year. This year, I made it to MidAmerica '02 Fest in Ark. (April), our local RGB Spring N.KY gtg (April), Vintage (late May), the 4th of July parade in Yellow Springs, OH (surprisingly FUN), a RGB gtg in 'Rubber City' i.e. Akron, (early Aug.), & the Fall RGB N.KY gtg (Sept.23/24th). To top it all off, our family vacation had us in Carmel, Calif. during the automotive events leading into the Pebble Beach Concours. (the week of Aug. 14 - 20) What a blast! I got to know some of the west coast 2002'ers and attended Legends of the Autobahn and the classic car races at Laguna Seca. I did a lot of fun things this year. Grateful and pleased am I -- no complaints.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I'd answer the trivia question but I'd be giving away just how long I've been involved with the CCA. ;)

Two hints though, one is a serious model Bimmer collector and the other is caretaker of the wayback machine and the least brain dead boogerhead person I've ever met.

OK, so I've been around the CCA since I was 2 and have been a member since I was 10....... I've been to 8 O-fests..... But haven't been to enough due to money and distance. Can't wait for the San Francisco Bay Area to host another... Hasn't been one since '93.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I would say that the BMWCCA has changed since its inception, but then I would sound like some old fart. Those other two old ones were instrumental in getting it off of the ground.

I might have made this one if the 02 wasn't still getting its engine rebuilt along with some other work. I probably missed it by about a month.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci