• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am SCARED...Sellers remorse in advance.

BillyRay

I need to hear some thoughts on this subject. I am really disturbed this morning because I received what is close to a fair offer for my car.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/10786/index.html

I have had it advertised for some time, not really even thinking about the ad as I get an inquiry only about once every three months and nothing ever really comes of it. This morning I opened an email with what appears to be a serious offer. Now, I am freaking out! I have gone from a counter offer (in my head) to pull the ad completely because even if I had a full price offer I would probably be freaking out.

Opinions and comments solicited, from those of you with the spine to sign your REAL name to your posts.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Yes, it has more character than I do and I am quite fond of it. I took it for a drive this morning...wrestling with my dilemma. I kind of had it set aside as a hot street/track day car. But, if someone were to make a reasonable offer, I THOUGHT I would entertain it. Now that someone has, I am having second thoughts.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

why be scared? it's your decision. If you don't want to sell, just say so! you're in the driver's seat!!

judging from your post, you should keep it / you want to keep it

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Billy, I don't know your age but I am 61 and have had many cars in the past but none as rare as your 2002ti. I have always used the thinking ,when selling a car I have really enjoyed to move on to a new project, is that how rare a car it was and could I replace it for the price I sold it for if I wanted to in the future. The question is which would give you more enjoyment having the extra cash and moving on to a new project or holding on to a almost 1 of a kind 2002 , if you can, that will be worth a LOT more in 5 years when the economy improves ?

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

I have a friend that buys cars to flip them. He recently bought a 1970 Porsche 911. An E with the 2.2, but lots of S upgrades (brakes for one). 3 owners. He got it for 17K. Less than a week, he flipped it for 42K.

I'm just the opposite. I didn't buy any of my cars because I thought I could sell them. I bought them because they are cars I really like. My wife made a comment last week (right after I bought a motorcycle) that "stuff goes in the garage, but it doesn't come back out". I told her, that's the difference between being a flipper and passion.....

So - decide. Do you still have passion? If it's gone - that's OK. Sell it and maximize your financial gain.

If you do - great. Keep it and drive the wheels off.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Well, I was a licensed dealer for a while and flipped many cars. When I closed up shop in Tennessee this is the only one I kept. Simply, I really like it, it has more character and charisma than I do. I wish I was as cool as my car. (I guess that should be another thread)

Anyway, this community is great and you folks are right.

I will keep it/ I want to keep it

Thanks, Z

Murphy was a Grunt

I always tell my wife , If in doubt, throw it out.... This does not apply to 2002's though. I think you made the right choice. It is not depreciating, might be appreciating faster than current interest rates, is sellable in foreign currencies, so keeping it is a good idea IMHO. Call it an investment.

Bob S.

Z,

keep it, just the fact that it was the ONE that you kept when you left us to move west says it all. you had some neat stuff there.

Jon

BTW - still have the silver car...and I'm getting ready to add the bilsteins/eibachs/5-sp I've always wanted for it.

post-468-13667650649681_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Having owned some rare stuff over the years and currently in possession of a fairly rare car.....I'll keep it simple, if you are enjoying it and don't need the $$$ to live off of or send a kid to school (or whatever) AND you have a covered place to keep it.....keep it. As previously mentioned, it isn't going to lose value - at some point you may lose interest, time or someone offers you more money than you can turn down then you let it go (or not). Cool car.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

BTW, I have mentioned more than a few times that I was going to sell my alpina car to my wife - she tells me to be quiet and just finish the thing (really I think she is in it for herself - long weekend in Monterey at the Monterey Historics!)

You're right of course...of all the cars...it was the ONE. I don't really remember what else I had at that time...but there have been a lot of cool cars.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/porsche356/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

I am pleased the silver car is still in your stable and receiving the attention it deserved. I remember it being a nice solid rust free car.

Thanks for the photo, Z

Murphy was a Grunt

Mark, I think "fairly rare" is an understatement. I officially volunteer to work the pit when you field that car.

(Trying to get a pit pass to the Monterey Historics =-))

Murphy was a Grunt