• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This made for a bad day at work...

Izak73

Some kid couldn't look at a clock and drive at the same time. Thank you for being an awful multi-tasker

Fortunately you can still buy the rear panel and I think some trim through penske. The sides can be molded back into shape, that and some paint should be good as new! But what a way to ruin the last few weeks of fall.

post-11420-13667650714313_thumb.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

'73 2002

'77 R75/7

goeslikeschnell2.png

i bet that could be hammered out pretty effectively by a competent bodyman or a gifted amateur. sorry to see that. 02's are like bumper cars out on the road these days. makes one want to mount a set of I-beams fore and aft....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Sorry about your car :(, The idiot who hit you and the resulting damage in the picture give me 2 more reasons to reinstall the big safety bumpers , and install a 3rd brake light on my 75 restoration.

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

Ouch. My car had a similar hit two years ago. Like jerry mentioned, if you find the right body shop, it can be fixed. Mine looks like new again. and they didn't replace any bodywork. It was all re-bent back to shape.

I had to beg with the insurance company to not total the car and compare the cost of the damage to the NADA guide on what my car was worth.

Good luck... and remain patient. this kind of repair takes LOTS of time.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

i know the feeling !

my new truckette was parked WAY BACK in

the dealer parking lot away from wild flatbed

tow trucks, garbage trucks, and other cars,

on a quiet Saturday with no yard trafic,

and then our shop foreman of 25 years

decides to use the nose of my 4-month old

truckette as a wheel chalk with his huge duel

rear wheel pick up truck - in the process

dragging my poor vehicle 2-feet over to the right,

knocking the steering off center, pulling to the right

while driving, and this unsightly face. I guess, luckly

it's just bolt on fender and trim - I've been paid by his

insurance, now loking for the time to fix it.

truckettedamage.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

daily driver (April thru December)...but it's too much fun not to drive.

Looks like your trunk lid and quarter panels are either OK or can be repaired. I would suspect you'd want to replace the rear body panel, and while it was off, the shop can pull out the trunk floor/spare tire well.

Make sure the gas tank wasn't damaged--it's a two part tank (upper and lower) welded together. You want to insure the two halves weren't sprung and leaking.

Eminently repairable--looks a lot worse than it is. And all the damaged trim is still available (but those license plate lights are PRICEY!)

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Man I feel your pain! I'm about to have my tii shipped back to me from Cali. after a 5-month restoration - my biggest fear is some 16-year old texting her BFF slamming into me at a red light. Hope the Hella LED 3rd brake light I installed helps? Good luck on bringing her back to life.

73 2002 tii 2763480

08 Carrera S

09 528i

Every time I think about shortening my bumpers, I see a thread like this. Due to the moronic drivers in my area, my daily commute seems like I'm an unwitting participant in some bizarre murder/suicide plot. If everyone had to drive a manual shift with no power steering and no false sense of invulnerability due to being wrapped in an air-bag and steel cocoon, we would have more attentive drivers. You have to DRIVE a 2002. You're merely transported in today's modern automobile.

1976 Polaris

Every time I think about shortening my bumpers, I see a thread like this. Due to the moronic drivers in my area, my daily commute seems like I'm an unwitting participant in some bizarre murder/suicide plot. If everyone had to drive a manual shift with no power steering and no false sense of invulnerability due to being wrapped in an air-bag and steel cocoon, we would have more attentive drivers. You have to DRIVE a 2002. You're merely transported in today's modern automobile.

I like that! powersteering, pshhhhh

Got the estimate for the repair, not totaled thankfully! A shop I know is going to do it over the winter and have it ready for sure by spring, probably sooner. That will also free up some garage space :D

The car that hit me was a chevy blazer, the bumper hit directly between the tail lights. If it had been any car smaller or larger the damage probably would have been much worse.

------------------------------------------------------------

'73 2002

'77 R75/7

goeslikeschnell2.png

Same thing happened to me on 10/12. 18 yr old kid knocks on my door and asked if the "Orange Car"(76 Inka) was mine. Sez he just smashed into it(sitting in front of my house) while reaching for something. $3000 labor estimate to fix not including parts. Just got off phone with his ins. co.(State Farm) sez their fixing all damages.

Why don't I park it in the garage? Cuz that's where the '71 lives.