• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Say hello to my "new" German mistress

Lebowski

Well, the 2002 has been down since May awaiting the funds and motivation to do a complete and high end engine rebuild. I guess I needed a break after some of my recent frustrations. Well, you know what they say about idle hands...

Saw this 1978 911 on craigslist a couple of states away, and though the ad was brief it sort of spoke to me. I let the ad sit for about 3 weeks at which time it was a month old... wondered why it hadn't sold. Must be something wrong with it. Don't want another money pit... my wife would kill me... I had a million excuses.

I've always loved the 911, but thought I would someday buy an early longhood with a 3.2 or 3.6 swap for the ultimate Porsche hot rod. I even passed on a nearly free SC that had sat outside for the past 6 years. I know the SC 3.0L flat six is supposed to be bulletproof, but I only had considered the '87-89 cars with the G50 transmission.

Well, the last straw was that I actually had a dream about the car, couldn't get it out of my head. And even though I didn't like the color and didn't want a targa I called the guy... he had a pending offer. Promised to call in a couple of days if the deal didn't go through. I thought it was probably for the best...

Well, three days later the guy calls. He's the second owner, 80,000+ original miles. All receipts. Chain tensioners/head studs done, turbo tie rods, SSI/sport muffler, refurbished targa top, 964 cams, oil cooler upgrade, RSR bumpers, H4 later headlights, euro tails, 15x7 and 15x8 fuchs, factory sport seats, LSD. Oh, and the car was ordered without air or any power accessories except the power driver side mirror... a lightweight SC. Interior near perfect, everything works. Sounded too good to be true and about the perfect SC.

Well, I paypal the PO a deposit and flew up to Eastern Iowa to have a look. The car was as good as he said it was, and I bought it on the spot. Drove 10 hours back to Kansas with a shit eating grin on my face...

Don't worry, I still love my 2002 and will hopefully get it going over the winter... I have some great stuff planned for it. The Porsche is a different animal than my 2002 and fun in an all together separate way... and the "bitter chocolate" color has a really cool 70's vibe. I actually like it a lot...

And, I've always had a thing for brunettes!

Took these pics on a break on the way home...

post-14664-13667650895193_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667650897295_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667650899249_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667650900816_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667650902304_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Oh... and the best thing is that I don't have much to do to get it the way I want it. All it needs to be perfect is a WEVO shift kit for the 915, and a ducktail spoiler!

I'd love to hear from any of you guys that own a 2002 and a Porsche...

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Guten tag, fraulein!!

I don't own a Porsche, but my dad used to own a '79 (non-Targa) 911 in the same color as yours. I got to drive it once or twice. My only P-car experience, sad to say. I've riden in other Porsche's, but have not driven them.

Have fun, my man!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Thanks for the kind words Jim and Jim!

I've been busy with work since getting back but had a great day off today with clear sky and 70+ degrees... perfect for targa top off motoring. Here's a couple more pics... my 4 year old thought the targa top was the coolest feature ever!

post-8235-13667651107348_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667651109635_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667651111799_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667651114035_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667651116297_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Gosh I love the lines on an early 911/912! The 912 is probably closer to the spirit of the 2002 than the 911... light and nimble. Silver is absolutely my favorite color on an old Porsche... would have never guessed poo brown would be so attractive to me! I think the 911SC is a better first Porsche for me than an early car though, bulletproof!

Nice shot of your garage mates PanShovelGeo!

Aaron

Gosh I love the lines on an early 911/912! The 912 is probably closer to the spirit of the 2002 than the 911... light and nimble. Silver is absolutely my favorite color on an old Porsche... would have never guessed poo brown would be so attractive to me! I think the 911SC is a better first Porsche for me than an early car though, bulletproof!

Nice shot of your garage mates PanShovelGeo!

I was thinking about an SC just for the same reason, they are reliable. Can't go wrong with any Porsche (car) really. I have had a few in the past and was getting obsessed with getting a 356 this past summer. I had one in particular that would show up to every event I attended. I came to the realization that I was not going to afford a decent 356 anytime soon so I found the next best thing. A 911 with a 356 motor. My 2002 is still going to be my go to car, but the 912 will come out on weekends and special occasions. Congrats on your new car and welcome to the very small OBOP (Old BMW Old Porsche) club!

seventythree2002.wordpress.com

66nine12.wordpress.com

Hey Aaron,

Congrats on the SC!! Brown is so correct for the SC too. What is the official colort? If I remember, there was about 6-7 different shades, Mocha, Copper, Muskatbraun, Rosewood,etc. Love the RSR front and rear bumper, plus all the perfect upgrades.

I think you and I have the same taste too as I always wanted a long nose with a 3.2 or 3.6. Or a RGruppe 911 if I can ever afford one. I've had a few 911s, C4s including a Slate Grey 94 3.6 Turbo, my last and favorite (pic included).

BTW, I've been getting secrect Text Pics the last month of Nakai-San putting together the 3 RWB Porsches for SEMA this week. I keep forgetting to send them to you. very cool stuff. Anyways, enjoy the SC and the sound of the air-cooled flat 6 wailing behind you!

dsc0043bea.jpg

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Hey Aaron,

Congrats on the SC!! Brown is so correct for the SC too. What is the official colort? If I remember, there was about 6-7 different shades, Mocha, Copper, Muskatbraun, Rosewood,etc. Love the RSR front and rear bumper, plus all the perfect upgrades.

I think you and I have the same taste too as I always wanted a long nose with a 3.2 or 3.6. Or a RGruppe 911 if I can ever afford one. I've had a few 911s, C4s including a Slate Grey 94 3.6 Turbo, my last and favorite (pic included).

BTW, I've been getting secrect Text Pics the last month of Nakai-San putting together the 3 RWB Porsches for SEMA this week. I keep forgetting to send them to you. very cool stuff. Anyways, enjoy the SC and the sound of the air-cooled flat 6 wailing behind you!

Ray, that is a gorgeous turbo in my all-time favorite Porsche color=slate grey! I'd someday like to own a real 993 turbo. I think the 993 is the prettiest of all the later 911s... but guards red 930 was the absolute coolest supercar when I was a kid.

I think I read somewhere that Ferry Porsche's favorite color on a 911 was brown... thus the multiple shades of brown over the years. After about 1980 the color palette became much more mainstream and less unique. I guess the browns have grown on me some!

I think I've made a good entry into the world of Porsche ownership with this SC... it is sort of the lightweight version with no power accessories or A/C. The 964 cams and SSI really opens up the top end, and the sound is incredible! That said, I don't think I'll be complete without a long hood hotrod someday!

If you have time, I'd love to see what Nakai-San is cooking up for SEMA...

alentz5 at cox.net

Keep me updated!

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
Wife approved if I get rid of the e34 Dinan 530iT...

My wife uses that logic on me all the time.

"You can buy whatever car you want, as long as you get rid of the M3 and 2002."

Yeah...right.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I got the ...you can buy a Porsche if you sell the BMW talk too. Took me a few days to wear my wife down. I do feel bad for her though, I have all spots in our 3 car garage occupied with her car out in the driveway.

I'm thinking of moving 02 temporarily and then maybe a lift. I explained to her that the 02 is the car I keep modifying and love the people I've met because of the 2002... I could never sell it even though it may never be finished.

The Porsche is more of the leave it alone and drive the crap out of it car... at least that's what I keep telling her. I think she likes that it isn't a project and looks more finished than the 2002...

I can't really criticize her though, I admit I have a really good deal going. Plus although she can't cook, my wife is hot!... she even let me go drink beer at the last minute with Harv on Valentine's Day!

John, I'll let you choose your rental next time you're in town... that crappy Cadillac or the Poo Porsche!

Aaron