• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake fluid is black

nbristow01

Could the black I am seeing be from the clutch master seals etc getting erroded by the fluid? I just use plain old brake fluid that I grabbed off the shelf aty Oriellys.

thanks for any feedback. If I do have to grab another clutch master what fluid should I be running?

Dark and contaminated fluid is common to all hydraulic braking systems that see a lot of use. Do you think rubber seals and lines (under tremendous pressure and heat) last indefinitely? Could be your etc, too.

Surprised you never encountered this phenomenon in your muscle car days.

My 02 sees a lot of driving, 60k in the last 22 months. Entire brake system is new as well as clutch system. I did not find an answer in the archives and you shed no additional info. In my "Muscle car days" which was well over 20 years ago I did not drive my cars that much so never had issues from DD.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Guest Anonymous

My 02 sees a lot of driving, 60k in the last 22 months. Entire brake system is new as well as clutch system. I did not find an answer in the archives and you shed no additional info. In my "Muscle car days" which was well over 20 years ago I did not drive my cars that much so never had issues from DD.

Really.

60,000 miles in two years ?. Most probably wouldn't describe that as "new."

Really.

60,000 miles in two years ?. Most probably wouldn't describe that as "new."

Yeah your right, just seems new since it was all replaced just 22 months ago. Thank goodness we are moving back to the city next month and my miles per day will automativally be reduced by 80 miles. I love driving my 02 everyday but man that wear and tear of all those miles. So yep, just newer parts by age, older parts by wear

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I read your other posts about avoiding brake maintenance. At 30,000 miles per year, some maintenance is unavoidable - if you plan to keep the car running. Even a Mercedes Diesel taxi (with rear disk brakes) requires routine maintenance - and not just to keep the brake fluid clear.

BTW, on Oct 5, 2009 you said you were crossing over from American Muscle to the BMW. Then in this thread you say your Muscle Car days were over 20 yrs. ago. ??????

Guest Anonymous
BTW, on Oct 5, 2009 you said you were crossing over from American Muscle to the BMW. Then in this thread you say your Muscle Car days were over 20 yrs. ago. ??????

Reading the entire thread, additional information was shed on the subject and discussed in the archives.