• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 - floor prep - factory weld rubberized coating

north1602

Hi

Just acquired a 1969 1600 and have started tearing it down. Am prepping the floors for primer.

Have already removed the tar mat. Do I also need to remove the factory rubberized coating that covers the panel weld seams? No rust evident, just looks like more work to do so.

Also have to permanently secure the four large drain plugs in the footwells. Was going to use JB Weld: an epoxy liquid type permanent bonding agent. Is this the right stuff for this application?

Sincerely

Doug

post-20782-13667651034094_thumb.jpg

your floorboards look very good from what i can see. unless you see delamination at the seam sealer i'd leave it alone.

i would NOT use JB Weld on the floor plugs either. brush on some seam sealer to both surfaces and install them then brush another dab over the edges both on the inside and under the car. let dry and spray rubberized undercoating on the underside AFTER you've cleaned the surface.

if you're going to this effort you are probably going to replace the rubber seals on doors and windows. keeping the interior dry is the best defense against rusty floors.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Nice...I'm 1566759. I need to start a blog....never done one before, though. I'm at a stripped and sand blasted body that I'm sealing and priming now, then ready for little bits of body work before paint....realizing how long a process it's going to be...ugh... I bought it, drove it on a trailer and pushed it in my garage for strip down....I'm dying to drive it!!!! Oh well....;-).

Where r u at?

any info on seam sealer for the drain plug please. im also very interested.

also, how did you remove the tar so nicely. did yours come off in one sheet or you used something? i used goo be gone and some heat but cant get it shiny like yours. not sure i need it that way anyway but if its something easy, i may as well right?

thanks and great work!

Eastwood has a brushable seam sealer sold in quart size cans for about $20ish/can.

you can order over the internet.

as for cleaning up residual tar, i used mineral spirits AKA paint thinner. works great.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

thanks for the sealer info. i actually googled it after i posted and slapped myself on the forehead.

its pricey and im wondering if using a good grade "bathroom" caulk may be an alternative...or i should not mix business with pleasure?

ill get pain thinner in home depot tomm and give it a shot! thanks again.