• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALPINA A4 Injection (Auction)

markmac

I had thought about making a run at this system myself and then decided against it - too many other things to do at the moment, and at the end of the day my suspicion is that it will be over $4000, maybe even $5k - hard to say. Some curiousities with it primarily in the castings that I hadn't seen before - always something new, the only thing I can figure was that it was something for items that were going to the UK...but who the heck knows.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/10/alpina-a4-fuel-injection-auction-post.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be. That ALPINA font on the manifold is pretty much the same as cast in my wheels. Possibly the version they used after the side draft manifolds just before the "bridge style manifolds". Curious and interesting as to how these things evolved. Somewhat interesting how they have it oriented as well. On all the manifolds and TB's I have seen you would normally read the "ALPINA" right side up from the passenger side of the car, this would be upside down from the same vantage point......and no casting on the TB's, which although they are clearly the same (ALPINA's) makes them a little less valuable (at least to me), but then I am picky, why not be if you are/were to bone out that much $$$.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I do as well ..... I know you have really enjoyed your system. I would probably bid on this one but my "better sense" took over (ie., finish the stinking car you have now rather than spend copious amounts of money on bits and pieces for that "future" project"). I have to say having run one myself for a number of years that it is a very well engineered and constructed system. Amazing with such little effort you can squeeze between 20 and 60 hp out of one above and beyond a normal tii's 130bhp.

The attached link is an article done on the "beaster" ALPINA 2002tii, big valves ALPINA 320 cam, 190bhp.....I am pretty sure that was one of their export engines - not legal for road use in Germany at the time, but a good demonstration as to what was possible to squeeze out of a normally aspirted 2liter road car engine.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/01/2002-tii-alpina.html

What internal mods would be required to match the fueling curve of the pump?

Pete

from what LITTLE i know (and correct me if i'm wrong), the profile of the fuel cone (is that the right term?) contained within the kugelfischer pump, controls the rate of fuel flow. several months ago, markmac posted up a photo showing various fuel cones, apparently representing differing pump specs, ie., racing, standard and A4...

BTW, i would like to offer up for those interested that i now have access to 'blue light' scanning system that can scan objects with a resolution down to 0.0005in and convert the image via Solidworks to a 3D CNC file (Surfcam). doing the actual machine work would likely have to be done by a 3rd party vendor, unless.....

my interest in this auction is solely for the pump and it's a high price to pay for access to that 'cone'.

anyone have a 'cone' available for a little reverse engineering? i could see making a run of about 6-12 with a freebie to the donor. just thinking out loud. considering that the reproduction fuel lines went for $150, what's a repro-cone worth? still unknown is whether it's hardened or other metallurgical treatments to it. fortunately i have a scap pump to disect should i pursue this.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

What internal mods would be required to match the fueling curve of the pump?

Pete

from what LITTLE i know (and correct me if i'm wrong), the profile of the fuel cone (is that the right term?) contained within the kugelfischer pump, controls the rate of fuel flow. several months ago, markmac posted up a photo showing various fuel cones, apparently representing differing pump specs, ie., racing, standard and A4...

BTW, i would like to offer up for those interested that i now have access to 'blue light' scanning system that can scan objects with a resolution down to 0.0005in and convert the image via Solidworks to a 3D CNC file (Surfcam). doing the actual machine work would likely have to be done by a 3rd party vendor, unless.....

my interest in this auction is solely for the pump and it's a high price to pay for access to that 'cone'.

anyone have a 'cone' available for a little reverse engineering? i could see making a run of about 6-12 with a freebie to the donor. just thinking out loud. considering that the reproduction fuel lines went for $150, what's a repro-cone worth? still unknown is whether it's hardened or other metallurgical treatments to it. fortunately i have a scap pump to disect should i pursue this.

Yes Jerry you are correct about the fuel cam. What I am wondering is if there is any way to know what specs this cam was set up for specifically. If I were to lay out all the $$ for this I'd want to be able to build the engine to match the specific curve of the pump.

Pete

Currently about $3,300 USD the auction is with a day +. Hard to say where it will finish, if I had to guess I would say somewhere around $4500 that said it could go for more or less. I personally had to take a whiff of reality and re-focus on the task at hand which is to commit $$$ to the race car and not some future street car project + although nitpicky not happy that the TB's are missing the alpina logo, and although no way to prove it I am guessing the TB shafts will need re-doing, which most do, not a huge deal buy more $$$....bla, bla, bla. Regarding the pump cone's, maybe a question the K/S could answer, if I had to make a guess, I would say it was something very carefully planned to work with the ALPINA system.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Forgot to mention that my Kugel pump for the ALPINA race car is an ALPINA modified pump (according to Koller/Schwemmer - sent them the numbers, they basically said they couldn't help, get a hold of ALPINA), however the cone that is in that pump I am guessing is substantially different than an A4 pump cone, given that it will flow fuel for a +280bhp motor as opposed to the 170bhp for the ALPINA A4.

www.alpinabmw2002.com