• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project 1969 BMW 2002 - Axis of Evil

TXSR2002

Well I am a long time lurker, new register. I am a long time import euro builder/tuner (not for a living, just hobby). I have building cars since about 1987. I got into the import euro scene in 1992 and have built/modded BMW, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Volvo. I am sure I missed some but who cares about my background, lets get going with the build.

this build has only recently started for I picked up this 1969 BMW 2002 on OCT 3rd 2011. A good friend of mine sold it to me, had to go to Denver to get it so I will start here. I will keep it going and going till completion, I am too OCD to quit and definitely ADHD as well, I work 8-5 and everyday I get home I work on this car till about 9pm.

So lets begin.

First here is the battle plan in which I will get a lot of crap, but I really dont care, this is MY car and not YOURS, I do what I want.. hahaha. with that said... here it is:

ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN:

1995 S13 SR20DET BlackTop engine/tranny etc.

1993 S13 240SX Rear Subframe with VLSD Diff and Tein SS SuspensionI will

Front suspension will remain BMW stock as well as crossmember but I will be putting a Rack and Pinion of E21 for SR20 Clearance.

Ok first you may ask why do a Nissan Rear subframe. Well for one I cannot stand drum brakes and with the goal HP being 500hp peak and 300hp daily, the drums will not be sufficient. So still why the Nissan rear subframe? Well I have one and also have the VLSD. two I like the suspension possibilities. I may even end up changing the front to Nissan, because again it is my car... LOL..

So that is the heart plan.

INTERIOR

Interior will be custom Leather from a known source I will reveal after the interior is done for anyone to use. Interior will have custom fiberglass dash that will be padded and covered in leather as well. Custom Center Console made of wood and fiberglass that will go to the BMW E46 rear seats. Seats will most likely be E46 and will retain the power and heat in them, they will just be re-covered with red and black leather. I will also be building custom door cards and rear cards using wood, fiberglass and leather as well. In these doors will contain power windows and power locks from Autoloc. I will also have a black leather headliner and will have a Italian Flag sewed to it by the rear view mirror

EXTERIOR:

I will be painting the car Alpine White, I had a 2002 BMW 330cic with some mods and I have some left over Deltron Paint. I will be putting that to use. I will also be building custom front and rear fender flares. I am not a big fan of what the cars look like with the aftermarket kits so I will be fabricating my own. I will also be modding all lights to bring them to more modern standards. LED all the way around and I will be molding new tail-lights (new ones are bloody expensive). SO I will use Alumilite to accomplish this. I will also be modernizing the front turn indicators because I do not like the boat look of them now. all reflectors will be deleted and I will put side markers on the car that will be small and LED.

Ok here is where I may get flack as well, but I grew up in a hotrod shop and I have always done this stuff to my cars. I am going to be shaving the door handles, trunk button, license plate lights, license plat hump and the fuel filler. I will be making a custom license plate holder that will have hinges so the gas filler will be relocated there. The frame will also house a small LED light for the license plate. The trunk button will then be modded to house a Roundel so it is more like the modern BMW. Under the trunk lid will be painted like a Germany flag and under the hood will be painted in Rising Sun (Japanese flag).

AUDIO (I am an Audiophile)

Custom CarPC using android as the OS

7" Capacitive Touch screen with res of 1280x640

Tegra II chipset (basically a tablet put into the dash mmmkay)

Polk db1001 tweets for rear deck

6.5" Boston components front doors and rear cards

8" Polk MidBass Sub in rear deck

10" Alpine TypeR sub for rear area between wheel wells.

2 Boston GTA-704 4 channel amps

1 Boston GTA-800m mono amp

120amp alt.

10 farad digital cap.

entire interior and trunk will be lined with sound dampening for sound dampening and insulation.

So why the Axis of Evil? Well if you did not see what I am doing here, the Axis of Evil comes from WWII and refers to the Evils of Germany, Japan and Italy. So hence Axis of Evil. German Car (BMW), Japanese Motor(Nissan) and Italian leather Interior.

With that said lets move on to where I am.

Went to Colorado from Texas and got the car successfully moved and in the garage. First phase was to strip the car down to nothing more then a body.

post-20850-13667651294676_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651296472_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651298138_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651299766_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651301429_thumb.jpg

As of today I am posting these pics to show where she is.

I have nixed the idea of making a custom dash for I am missing parts so I am just going to be buying a custom fiberglass dash that I can pad and cover., any help there is appreciated. I have also finished about 80% of all the holes being filled and about 50% of the rust is now good. I have started on the custom Door cards and modded the front cross memember to take off anything dealing with the old steering box. most of the rear subframe is ready to come off just gotta get the two bigger bolts off, LOL. They are kind of a pain. It sits on jack stands now and is about completely stripped and about 90% of the paint is tripped down to metal. the fun will being this weekend when it will come out of the garage to be turned on its side so that I can blast the undercarriage. YAY..

Hood and trunk has all the trim holes filled and I will start prepping them this week as well.

post-20850-13667651303062_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651304646_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651306269_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651307931_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651309639_thumb.jpg

I have nixed the idea of making a custom dash for I am missing parts so I am just going to be buying a custom fiberglass dash that I can pad and cover., any help there is appreciated.

I've got a fiberglass dash similar to the dash in link below, discounted price. If interested, hit my 'email' button above for more info. -KB

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-body-chassis/fiberglassdash.html

Ludvig, Yeah they are great people there..

Koblenz - Yes it has been a fun journey so far and my neighbors, friends and family think I am gonna die building this car... typical day is, come home from work, drop off my laptop bag and go directly to the garage till about 9-10pm come inside, research parts, make checklists, write on blog and facebook, and then go to bed at about 1am and do it all over again. Has been going on for about a month. Breaktime will be coming up once the body is finished, primed and sitting at the body shop. Still a little bit of welding.

I was in Army Basic Training with a Koblenz.. original name

Also anyone know where I can get a decent price on some of the euro turn signals? I am just about to weld the holes up and make my own custom LED turn signals... but love the look of the euro turn signals over the boat style.

Guest Anonymous

Nice to see someone in sanantonio workin on a 2002 . Im from san antonio but now live in houston and have a friend here who is also dropping a sr20 into his 2002. Keep checkin this site as euro turns ill pop up. Ima keep my eyes on this thread. Gl

Last night was a very productive night. Once I got back from my favorite toy store, Northern Tools, I picked up some flexible sanding blocks, new spool of welding wire and some sheet metal. I got to work on the front part of the unibody where it meets the cab of the car, it had rusted to where I personally think it compromised the structural integrity of the frame.. Nothing a little 1/8" steel cant fix. . Finished that up last night laid some gold body filler on the other areas that had issues before, which I am really glad I decided to grind the car down to the metal. There was some areas that must have been in an accident because lots of dents that were covered with filler and even the rear had a welded section which must have been replaced.

I left the garage a mess because I finished up around 11pm. I will take pics of fixes and the bad areas that will soon be 100% again. Sad thing is I have a happy hour celebration for work tonight and I was a little pissed because it takes away time from the car. GRRRR... oh well gotta be social sometimes. Even though my neighbors always come to shoot the shit and I dont mind if it is short but they always stay for an hour. eh I still love them, great peeps. Thats the update for today... more to come this weekend when I have more time and will be working on the underside. I usually torch the underbody protector off anyone have any better techniques?

Nice to see someone in sanantonio workin on a 2002 . Im from san antonio but now live in houston and have a friend here who is also dropping a sr20 into his 2002. Keep checkin this site as euro turns ill pop up. Ima keep my eyes on this thread. Gl

Yeah I moved here a few years ago from SoCal and I am originally from Denver... Love it here though, no emissions to mess with.. I can run a catless sytem.. Which I do on my FD Mazda RX7.... fun stuff.

this last week and this weekend were full of work.

I got the fenders off and started stripping out the fender wells.

Passenger side body work is complete but gotta wait for the turbo fender flares. Still gotta buy em, been looking for some used ones.. grrr but new is not too bad of a price.

Hood and trunk are completely stripped and hood is finished waiting on primer, trunk is almost finish one last coat of filler and it will be good. Hood also has the E46 windshield sprayers (fan type) mounted up.

Fuel filler is now shaved and the trunk button is now shaved as well, where the trunk button goes is where I will be welding up a round piece to house a E46 conv. roundel (60mm), my roundels will be carbon fiber red and black to go with the entire color scheme of red, white and black.

all trim holes have been filled grinded and half of them with filler to smooth the lines.

Rear subframe is off and I have began stripping off the underbody coating. Front is now completely stripped of paint so this means the car now has no paint on the entire car.

Got the engine bay farme rails that I fixed with plate steel all grinded, and rust proofing (por15). Also got heatshield spray on the engine bay to keep all the heat in the bay. Still got a little left to spray.

Doors got stripped out and my custom door panels started, the panel itself is cut and all holes cut out. I have started making my custom arm rests.

Got the interior rust holes filled in as well as the hole for the pedal assembly. Interior is not 100% ready for coating and Sound dampener. I will not grind the hell out of the welds here for coating, sound dampener and carpet will be covering it up.

That is about it for now, this week will be spent getting it ready for primer and prepping to put the body on its side to get the rubberized coating off.

post-20850-13667651645678_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651647823_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651649659_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651651642_thumb.jpg

post-20850-13667651653321_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...