• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rainy night? Polish a lip!

VonTrapp

Got some lips that you want to make spiffy? Wait for a rainy night, set aside a few hours, and try not to care about getting raw fingers.

Here's what I used/how I did it: 320, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit, 3M rubbing compound, then Meguiar's polish (and Trader Joe's Vintage Ale along the way).

My goal wasn't to get them perfect (lip rash is still visible), just something pretty decent for the street.

Here's a comparison shot. If anyone else has done this and has any suggestions, feel free to offer. I've only done one wheel so far.

6336083893_14a88048d7_z.jpg

6336082605_d25aa55c00_z.jpg

75' 2002 with an M42.

Looks good!

But here's a tip.

Don't even bother with 320, its too coarse and you will take more time to undo the scratches with 320 than to sand it with 600 or 800 straight away.

Unless you have deeper scratches you want to sand out.

As you can see in your picture you still have sandmarks that will not come out with polish, it needs to be sanded still.

Always remember, wen using sand paper, use the finest grade that will do the job.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

How long did that take? That looks really good! I'd also suggest no 320, use scotch brite pad instead. It'll clean all the gunk off with out scratching the lip like 320.

• 5 years later...
On 11/12/2011 at 5:31 PM, ziff73 said:

Very nice! I have my old Hayashi's that I'll be polishing the lips of soon, as well...not really looking forward to it..;-) Nice job!

Are you putting them on a 2002? I want some on mine but don't want to pull the trigger till I know they'll fit.