• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will an e30 LSD bolt into a 2002?

tdk930

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Any thing will fit ...its just ...time,money, fabrication, headaches, sore knuckles , crying children, unhappy wife , miserable life ..Ha Ha .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

• 1 month later...

I just did this swap in my 02.

I used the E30 LSD unit (small case- 6 bolt rear cover) and put my stock 02 ring gear on it (3.64 ratio). My 02 is a 1974 and the stub axles were smaller diameter and had a different spline than the E30 LSD did, but I had a non-LSD E21 diff with the same splines as the E30 LSD that I used the stub axles out of. I made up 2 X 1/4 inch spacers and drilled the E21 stub axles for the 8mm bolts (longer allen bolts too).

In Duetchmans link above, he used the stub axles out of the 02. My guess is that his diff was out of a later car(76) as he didnt use the spacers that I needed. (cupped stub axles as apposed to the flat stub axles ?-mine were E21 and the flat variety)

Also in Duetchmans link, I posted another link where an E36 LSD unit was put in an E21 case and the case needed to be clearanced to get the LSD into the case.I thought I would have to clearance my case also. Instead of clearancing my case for the LSD, I just removed the bearing/stub on the ring gear side by taking out the 8 allen bolts that compresses the LSD clutches, put the ring gear/ LSD assembly in and then put the bearing/stub inside the case and put the LSD unit back together inside the case. No clearancing needed. I used the 02 bearing retainers,E30 LSD, E21 stubaxles and the 02 diff case and it all works like it should.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

^ What are you planning to do for cooling, I see that as being a big potential issue.

Please elaborate..

Fishhead

----------------------

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

^ What are you planning to do for cooling, I see that as being a big potential issue.

Please elaborate..

Can anyone else explain why the E30 LSD unit in the 02 diff case can/may/could/will "cause" an overheating issue?

Anyone?

Fishhead

----------------------

Just throwing this out there. I have a really clean e30 small case LSD I'd let go for $200 plus shipping. I took it in trade and have no real use for it. All ready have several E21 LSDs on the shelf. Ratio is 3.91 to one, and shipping is from Carver Mass 02330. tkishbach@comcast dot net

Thanks, Toby..

The diff now has about 400 miles on it and all is fine. No noises, no overheating...

Fishhead

----------------------

Please elaborate..

Can anyone else explain why the E30 LSD unit in the 02 diff case can/may/could/will "cause" an overheating issue?

Confirming with Toby . . . it's not an issue (not sure what AA was thinking). -KB