• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii theoretical engine refresher.. what do you think?

Meintii

Ok the engine is coming out of the 72 tii next month, and I have done some planning on what I will do to it while its out.

Main objective __ Fix all oil leaks!

The top end of the engine was rebuilt 1.5 years ago, I plan to replace whatever needs to be done in the bottom end this time.

Secondary objective, gain a couple easy, cheap horses

I plan to do this by taking some strain off the crank:

IE 4" aluminum crank pullie ($125)

IE 5" aluminum Alternator pully ($95)

Converting from a mechanical fan to an electrical (12") fan ($88)

IE 284 Regrind cam ($155)

Clean/rebuild all K-fisch components (Injectors, pump, etc) (??$$?)

Replace plastic intake runner intake w/ later style aluminum intake ($100)

Do these mods seem reasonable to everyone? Any issues you can see?

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

If you are going to run this on the street the large Alt pulley will not spin fast enough to charge at anything under 3500 rpm. You are also slowing down the water pump using the 4" crank pulley, on a race car where you are running the engine over 3000 rpm all the time this is fine but at idle in traffic you may have trouble with overheating because the water is moving to slow through the system.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Here is what I would do:

Keep all the stock stuff - just make sure it all works well. I have been extremely happy with everything I've done to my car.

Spend your money on a new 3-row radiator and use with either the stock 5-blade fan or a pusher electric one.

Send the KF pump and injectors somewhere to get them tested and rebuilt - this alone will be roughly $ 750.00. Well worth the money.

New oil pump, gaskets, bearings, water pump, hoses, etc.

New KF linkage pieces (all 3). New nylon bushings at the firewall linkage and block linkage points - add cheap flat nylon washers to eliminate play.

Clean/inspect throttle body.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I am not going to bash the IE stuff you mention, from my standpoint a certain amount of that is simply "bling". If "bling" is what you want, go for it. I think the Alu intake runners and manifold is probably not a bad idea for the long run. If you are going to pull the engine anyway I would have some porting (simple) or port matching done to my new manifold, I would have my TB looked at as well - it is a wear item. Wes Ingram I believe rebuilds these (for a few million he could probably bore it by a few millimeters and install a larger throttle plate - interesting?) Seriously, I know that he can do that just don't know how much it would cost. Injection pump and injectors ABSOLUTELY, have them tested, checked, rebuilt or whatever is necessary to make them perform to spec (assuming they are not now). If any of those components aren't working right your tii isn't a tii (its a bone stock 2002 - maybe). All linkages (injection) check and or renew. Possibly consider adapting a turbo exhaust system ( what I would buy if I were looking for the most from a tii motor.....it goes because it flows as they say...). Something other to consider - ignition system (upgrade that as well). Good luck with your project.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

+1 on a free flowing OEM exhaust. I replaced an aftermarket exhaust with the factory tii exhaust (Made by Eberspacher) on my '74. Wow, what a difference on an otherwise bone stock tii. It just sounds and works right. I guess the Turbo exhaust is similar or better?

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Ok the engine is coming out of the 72 tii next month, and I have done some planning on what I will do to it while its out.

Main objective __ Fix all oil leaks!

The top end of the engine was rebuilt 1.5 years ago, I plan to replace whatever needs to be done in the bottom end this time.

Secondary objective, gain a couple easy, cheap horses

I plan to do this by taking some strain off the crank:

IE 4" aluminum crank pullie ($125)

IE 5" aluminum Alternator pully ($95)

Converting from a mechanical fan to an electrical (12") fan ($88)

IE 284 Regrind cam ($155)

Clean/rebuild all K-fisch components (Injectors, pump, etc) (??$$?)

Replace plastic intake runner intake w/ later style aluminum intake ($100)

Do these mods seem reasonable to everyone? Any issues you can see?

Why bother with a pump rebuild? Do you know for sure it is not performing? Is it leaking oil/fuel? If you go through with it, get it out now and send it to your rebuilder of choice with the injectors for an estimate. The cost of that work may inform your other decisions.

And replace every hose and clamp if you have the motor out and it hasn't been done for 24+months. Add $300 for that little exercise.

Good luck!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged