• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My tii wont start

RyanSipat

Yes, that green wire normally feeds into a ballast resistor and then from ballast to the + side of the coil. Since it looks like you are using a blue coil that doesn't require the ballast resistor, it should connect directly to the + side of the coil. That wire gets bypassed when starting, that's why the car starts but then dies when you're not in starting mode. Make sure that the wire is getting 12+volts when the key is turned ON, but not turned to START.

BTW, that box that the green wire is connected to is called a relay...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

haha oh yeah, it does look like a relay. I was pretty much in panic mode and my mind became hazy beyond reason. So just unscrew the nut on the positive side of the ignition coil and attach it it correct? This wire should have a prong for the coil somewhere...but I guess it fell out

I'd crimp the correct type of push on connector to that wire instead of wrapping it around the + coil connection. You can get those spade connections and the crimping tool at any hardware store.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I've read here and been told the "Blue" Bosch coil is a downgrade from the stock "Black" one and the "Red" one. My head would start hurting over the coil debates..

My car came with a "black" crusty one. I installed a "Blue" one, then switched to a "Red" one which clearly states on the label it requires an external 1.8 ohm ballast resistor.

ee73dd4a.jpg

As pointed out, the square thingamadoogie in the corner is the starter relay. Hope you can keep your tii running! Please report back.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"