• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The autopsy results are in...

SteveK535

Carl at Korman Autoworks just sent me a picture of my 4 speed's output shaft. Looks like the drive flange had come loose at some point in the car's past and worn off the splines. Carl said the PO or the PO's mechanic smacked a fine spline flange onto the already damaged course splined shaft and green Loctited it in place. Its not clear what the cause of my noise was, as he said the bearings were not excessively worn, but its possible that this condition had something to do with it, maybe some imbalance that caused wear. Korman is now looking for a donor transmission to get an output shaft from. They are NLA and were ~$900 bucks when they were. Well, I guess the hopes for the rebuild complete before the end of the week is shot.

post-20588-13667652113827_thumb.jpg

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Crazy. Don't you just love when morons attempt repairs? I just spent the better part of my weekend rewiring the console after some monkeys installed a stereo ($600) back in the early 2000s. Wires wrapped in alum foil. It's hard to find mechanics who know what they're doing with these cars.

What noise was it making? Mine whines in 1st, 2nd and 3rd; 4th is pretty quiet however. Haynes manual says it's just bearings/bearing holders that wear out, and that it's not a cause for concern. Looks like in your case it is a lot more severe than just bearings.

It also says in there that just replacing the bearings doesn't always fix the problem; that every gear must be checked for wear and what not.

At least it's not the crappy Auto box :P

Sorry your box is like that, man.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

It was making what I thought was a bearing related noise synched with drive shaft speed, not engine rpm, so it was the same no matter what gear I was in or even if I was juts coasting, so it would be on the output shaft end of the box. Hard to describe, but it was a once per revolution noise that kinda sounded like a ball that was damaged in a bearing race. I still think it was excessive bearing noise due to one that was going, but this news is suspicious.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

that is an ugly output shaft......

this is a normal 2002 4spd? did you know people practically give those things away when they covert to 5spd? known good ones can be had for less than one hour labor costs at korman....

sounds like you are already into this one for more though....

2xM3

The way I look at it, once its rebuilt it will be a known good one. Everything else is a known crapshoot. But I hear what you are saying, I decided to do this being well informed. I have nothing against the 4 speed, I don't do a lot of highway driving with it, so going to the expense of a 5 speed conversion with another unknown transmission didn't interest me.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

if your going with a 4 speed, try find a late model one with fine splines on the output shaft so you dont have that problem again. i had the same problem a month or so again, the course splined shafts, like yours, have a tendency of doing what you pictured.