• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The autopsy results are in...

SteveK535

4 speeds. For at least part of 1973 production a badly heat treated batch of output flanges would allow the (coarse) splines to wear. As they wore, the nut holding the flange to the output shaft would loosen, causing more spline wear. Finallly the splines would wear completely off the flange, and usually booger up the shaft splines too.

There was a factory service bulletin on this--to check the nut's tightness when a car was in for service, and if it was loose, to check for spline wear. Our local dealer didn't, and a week or so after they did a clutch job on my 73 (this was in '78--PO's wife couldn't drive stick very well) the splines failed. Never used that dealer for repairs again!

The switch to fine splines in early 74 solved the problem. 02 history lesson for today.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

did you know people practically give those things away when they covert to 5spd?

...and most of them are pretty used up...

I think of the dozen or so I have sitting around, only 2 or 3

are really in decent shape (have good synchros, fine splines,

unworn tailshaft pilots, blah blah blah)

So I could see rebuilding one. They weigh hardly anything...

which adds speed, of course!

(never lived near Connekticut, can tell the difference between fine and coArse splines)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I think we are getting to a stage where there are not very many "good" used transmissions around for these cars and rebuilds are starting to be inevitable.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it reveals how lucky we have been to have such a long lasting supply of usable boneyard boxes.

Well, if you are back here sometime with your 02, maybe we can hook up and go on a bomb run through the back roads! That is if I ever get this thing back together, seems like an eternity waiting for parts I didn't know I needed. Status as of now, found them all, but they ain't here yet. I took this week off, and my goal was to wrap this thing up! ugh

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Steve, I go to the Mystic area quite a bit. My wives family has a place in Groton Long Point. There is a guy there with a Verona red 2002 but I have not introduced myself to him yet. Good luck with the trans rebuild.

Where in GLP? I lived on atlantic and had relatives on pacific ave.

2xM3

OK MarkCT where did your wife work when she lived here? mlytle, how about you? Anything to do with submarines?

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Hey guys... my wives family has a place at the end of Atlantic (100, I think). My wife grew up there before college and worked at the local haunts like the Seahorse, etc:) It's a great area. Do you guys know who the owner of the Verona roundie is as you enter GLP on the left?

Seahorse! One of my favorite after beach volleyball/boating/golf stops! I have heard of the Verona roundie, but never seen it. A friend of mine has had an 1800 for a while and told me about it and a couple of others. The only one I have seen recently though was a lighter color car, maybe light blue with primer, that looked like a rat rod, you know cosmetically challenged but seemed to run like stink. I saw him on Clarence B Sharp Highway in Groton twice this summer on my way to work, shortly before I bought mine. (I have always been a closet 2002 fan, but just got my first one.)

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

Seahorse.....many a post regatta beer there....

Our house was 28 atlantic.

Don't knows the verona roundie, ours was a rivera roundie....a long time ago.

No direct connection too subs, other than I am in the service that saves sailors when they fall overboard!

2xM3

Jerry! Thanks for the tip, won it off ebay for a whopping $30 bucks brandy new!

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6