• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bent Steelies??

frittering

Just got new tires at BigO - Hankook Radial Max 175/80-13

- Had the shop switch out 2 known bent rims with 2 I got from junk yard that look like new, these went on front.

- Feels like out of balance in the rear, so I took it back and they tell me that all 6 stock steelies are bent.

Is this common with these rims?

Anyone have some straight 13" rims for sale?

1974 BMW 2002tii 2780371 Granatrot

1963 Morris Cooper 1275cc

1966 BSA A65L Lightning

1968 BSA B44VS Victor Special

I have a set, with crap tires on them, like not safe tires. They need to be cleaned and painted. I have never mounted them, but as far as I know they are OK. If you want I'll look at them tomorrow and let you know if they look bent or not.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Any steel wheel has a high probability of being bent. When a tire hits a big bump the wheel usually deflects a little. The problem is that steel tends to not return back to its normal shape like an aluminum wheel will. Jack up the wheel that you suspect is bent and put some kind of a pointer to the lip of the rim. You can use a bent up clothes hanger or something, just anything that can sit on the ground and not move. With the pointer by the lip, spin the tire and watch the gap between the lip and the pointer, if it changes at all your rim is bent. They can be straightened but steel wheels will always have that tendency to bend out of shape again. Usually when you get tires mounted and balanced, they will tell you if your wheels are bent.

Also while you have the tire in the air, rock it in and out to see if your suspension mounts or bearings could use replacing

I find it hard to believe that all 6 could be bent, but who knows. The way steels are made there is a spot that is welded that might not be perfect--but--visually bent? I'd try a new shop, tell them tires are new but you are having balance problems that tire store #1 can't fix. Hopefully they will be intrigued enough to check the balance for you. Don't mention the bends and see if tire store #2 has the same diagnosis. Fixing 4 wheels will not be financially rewarding, easier to buy something else.

Since you asked, I have a set of 13" steel Opel kadet rallye wheels and a set of 13" western wheel alloys that I'd be willing to sell. Both sets have been examined by a wheelsmith and are straight and true. Inquire via email button above. --Ben

SDC10773.jpg

SDC11035.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

The problem is that steel tends to not return back to its normal shape like an aluminum wheel will

yeah, that elastic aluminum, that's the stuff.

Generally speaking (and given the different alloy possibilities, I'm sure you could find exceptions if you worked at it... but probably not in typical wheel material)

steel actually has a much higher ability to deflect without permanently deforming.

And then, on toppa that, it is much less likely to fatigue if bent, then straightened.

So if it was me and I wanted to keep the steelies, I'd just have them straightened.

No, it's not particularly cheap around here, but if I liked the wheels, it'd

be a permanent solution...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

..."Feels like out of balance in the rear,

so I took it back and they tell me

that all 6 stock steelies are bent.

Is this common with these rims? " = no - not with steel rims

with really tall profile tires - in fact it would take a massive hit

to bend that combination without flatening a tire, or damaging

the suspension to some degree . people can and do anyting to

cars - over a 30 year period of mishaps

New steel rims are cheep enough that paying to attempt

straightening doesn't make sense. Also factor in the wear

on the sealing bead area of 30 year old rims - just chuck-um

into the neighbors pool

yours probable got swapped from this car ?

02Wreck.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks all for the good advice.

I think next will be for me to check the rims by spinning each to locate the bent ones. Next move will be to consult with a different shop for an unbiased opinion, if necessary. After initially feeling dismissed by the Big O store, now I have a better idea of how to handle the situaish and take responsibility of my old wheels.

Long-term goals are to either run 4 good stock circa late '73 steelies or to replace them with good period alloys such as the turbo alloy wheels.

1974 BMW 2002tii 2780371 Granatrot

1963 Morris Cooper 1275cc

1966 BSA A65L Lightning

1968 BSA B44VS Victor Special

Annother possibility is that they are not balancing them correctly. I would have them bolt up a lug plate to it(balances the wheels as the hub would actualy spin). Sometimes they just jam a cone in from behind and tighten it up and spin it. And if they are lug centric wheels, that could be the problem.

Rob

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

It really depends on your faith in your own skill and if you want to try this yourself. If you do, using the method I posted earlier, you will be able to identify the place where the wheel is bent outward the most (where it will be closest to the pointer). Use a 1 foot length of a 2x4 against that spot and wack the end of it with a sledge hammer. Then recheck the wheel to see where you are at. Repeat the process until it is uniform