• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailering the 02

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, single axle trailer with tilting bed.

Tow rig's an '89 Montero with the 3L 6g72 v6.

Hills are taken in 4th, and trailer brakes are mandatory.

Otherwise, it's easy.

Troopers take a dim view of driving a race car on the street.

t

post--1-13667652181626_thumb.jpg

post--1-13667652183324_thumb.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Anyone trailer their 02? Just curious as to the type of car/truck you might be using.

Tow vehicle has nothing to do with the car you are towing.....it is driven by the total weight and shape of the thing you are towing.......trailer and what is in it.

Toby can get by with the light combo he has well. More and you must upgrade the truck. My 02 rides in. a large enclosed trailer....8-10k lbs total fully loaded for the track. I use a F250 diesel crew cab long bed 4x4 pu.

Choose what you want to tow first, then choose appropriate sized truck to safely pull and stop it.

2xM3

Marshall is on track here... It's not really what you use to tow your car it's how it handles the mass in tow behind it.

I tow lots of different stuff and most of it with a dual wheeled gooseneck trailer. The trail is 14' with a 2' dove tail. The fact that is is a gooseneck trailer puts the load over the rear axle and not on the tail of the truck. This keeps the truck in the correct attitude and the front isn't lifted taking downforce off the steering wheels.

Then the important part, being able to stop. You need to be able to stop that mass pushing you forward. You can always start out slowly but being able to stop is what will always get you in trouble. My trailer has electric brakes which activate whenever the truck brakes go on.

Once you are rolling along, remember that your stopping distance has possibly doubled and you need to pay even more attention to what traffic ahead is doing to block your path.

Just be careful, we don't want to see pictures of a jack-knifed trailer and an 02 on it's side.

Now back to steeping my coffee.... Happy Thanksgiving!

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

Back in 2004, I hauled a free car from FL to VA using a tow dolly rented from U-Haul. Using their on-line registration, your tow vehicle must be a certain size to use a certain type of trailer. I think I couldn't rent a trailer due to my dad's F150 2WD pickup (V6 with 5 speed). I ended up with a tow dolly. I installed a nice Class III hitch and wiring harness.

No issues other than the lame "reservation" promises by U-Haul. There was a repeat of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine are at the airport rental car counter saying "but a reservation is a reservation". U-Haul told me no-one had turned in a dolly to complete my "reservation". My dad and I spent an extra day in Florida searching for a tow dolly. I was major pissed at U-Haul after that fiasco.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

ol' skool here.

Awww Sweet Action man....I love old Internationals! I'd like to see more pics of THAT!!

I have a 1991 Dodge D250, 360 V8 Gas, AT w/ HD Suspension and 8510# GVW package. (former government owned/spec truck) With overdrive off it pulls like a champ and averages about 8MPG puling this borrowed 20ft steel trailer. Uhaul.com has a feature that allows you to verify your vehicle and hitch type against their rental trailer options.

SDC10468.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

ol' skool here.

69%201600%20pick%20up%20day%207.jpg

That's the coolest tow vehicle ever!

Been looking for a Travelall to restore. Everything up here in midwest is a rust bucket.

When I used to own an A1 VW I towed it on a rented uhaul trailer with surge brakes behind a half-ton Chevy pick-up. I believe the towing capacity was near 8000 lbs. Plenty of power, stabilty and stopping ability.

Regards

Trailer is an 18 foot double axle steel tilt bed with electric brakes and 3500 pound axles. Tow vehicle is a 97 Ford F150 S/C with 5.4 and tow package. Rig gets 12-14 mpg versus 14-18 on truck alone. Tilt feature and winch on trailer are very handy as I've winched any number of not running heaps up on their way to their final destination.

post-372-13667652202807_thumb.jpg

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

Tow vehicle has nothing to do with the car you are towing

Sure it does! If you're towing a FV, you've got #1500 in car, it'll

take maybe #500 in trailer, and #300 in spares, for a total weight

of #2300, #2000 on the trailer.

If you have an EP 2002, you have #1800 of car, maybe #700 of trailer,

and #500 in spares for a total of #3000, #2500 on the trailer,

If you have a Chevy Biscayne, you have #4500 of car, minimum #1500 of

trailer, and almost no spares. #6000.

If you're towing a tractor to tractor pulls, you have #10000 of car, #5000

of spares, and a trailer that will weight #3000 as a minimum.

Radically different tow rigs needed. At a minimum, anyway.

So I say, start with the load, THEN assess the rest. A 2002 can tow

behind most capable rigs- as long as you're smart about it. Or

it fits nicely in an enclosed trailer with 2 spare engines, 3 spare trannies,

a lathe, milling machine and welding rigs. Behind a toterhome.

But yeah, 3 liters is enough for the last 8 years of towing all over the state.

for me.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL