• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailering the 02

Guest Anonymous

I have towed my 02 in my 18' enclosed race trailer. Pulls fine with a 2003 Toyota Tundra as long as you have sway control and we not going across some steep mountains. 89 or 93 octane needed for uphill.

I have an equilizer hitch which I highly recommend. I get 8-9 MPG driving around 70 MPH.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tow vehicle has nothing to do with the car you are towing

Sure it does! If you're towing a FV, you've got #1500 in car, it'll

take maybe #500 in trailer, and #300 in spares, for a total weight

of #2300, #2000 on the trailer.

If you have an EP 2002, you have #1800 of car, maybe #700 of trailer,

and #500 in spares for a total of #3000, #2500 on the trailer,

If you have a Chevy Biscayne, you have #4500 of car, minimum #1500 of

trailer, and almost no spares. #6000.

If you're towing a tractor to tractor pulls, you have #10000 of car, #5000

of spares, and a trailer that will weight #3000 as a minimum.

Radically different tow rigs needed. At a minimum, anyway.

So I say, start with the load, THEN assess the rest. A 2002 can tow

behind most capable rigs- as long as you're smart about it. Or

it fits nicely in an enclosed trailer with 2 spare engines, 3 spare trannies,

a lathe, milling machine and welding rigs. Behind a toterhome.

But yeah, 3 liters is enough for the last 8 years of towing all over the state.

for me.

t

sayin' the same thing.....gotta consider the entire package you are towing, not just the car you want to tow. i can put an FV in my 26ft enclosed trailer, but that does not mean i can tow it with an X3.....;-)

it ain't about the car you are towing, is it about the total loaded weight and size of the trailer it is in....

2xM3

Some really good answers here. It is the total weight and the type of roads you are pulling on.

I have a 24' enclosed trailer pulled by a 3/4 ton Duramax. The Bowtie does not even know the trailer and car are back there.

We started pulling it with the last version of the Tundra and hills just kicked its but. When I bought the trailer and was pulling it with the Tundra we bought the dual cam hitch system. It not only levels but reduces sway. Not sure I need all that with bowtie but it does help.

Now if I was going to do it all over again, a gooseneck is all I would buy. Even my 5x8 utility garden trailer would be gooseneck. A gooseneck rig pulls and handles 100% better than even the best receiver hitch option.

The Duramax with the Allison smart transmission is hard to beat. Now if you can send your truck to the fellow in Texas and it comes back with a Cummins motor and Allison transmission, you ARE the big boy on the block.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I use wheel nets over the tires on the orange car. They do not and can not damage anything and in theory, you can turn the trailer upside down and the car may stay suspended.

On all other cars, I use slings through the wheels to ratchet straps. This is the way to go. Really will not damage anything if the slings are clean. This method is fast and will hold. Been tested on at least a 60mph head on impact.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451247_200451247

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

not to hijack a thread but... what do you folks use for tie down points on the car. It appears some use the rear tow hook and some use the wheels with wheel straps

Jeff

do not use the rear tow hook...it is just sheet metal and will tear off.

do not use the front tow hooks...they just bend and break off.

i use sling/straps around the rear subframe . sling/straps around the inner control arm bolt at the front subframe. ratchet down tight.

leave trans in neutral, leave ebrake on.

i don't use wheel straps or any tiedowns attached just to the wheels. they allow the car to bounce on the suspension. probably not an issue for a stock suspension or a show car that never sees road use, but i normally haul race cars and need avoid any wear on $5000 suspension components...i lock the chassis down so it does not move. this is the way the bmw factor ships cars also.

2xM3

well, sheeeitt.... guess I been doin' it wrong all over!

2 fixed length ties to the front hooks,

2 ratchets to the rear points in the rear fenders,

and a winch to the center rear of the subframe.

Then I strap it down hard enough that the trailer suspension

works, not the car's.

Hasn't fallen off yet.

Doesn't even loosen up... much.... usually.

But, to agree with Marshall a bit, I DID go in and

make sure the factory loops were welded on nice and tight.

They aren't, always...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby, I like your choice of vehicles. After a few long trips I realized things work a bit better towing with the stock size tires and keeping it below 65mph. Much above that and the short wheelbase vehicle vs long trailer can get a bit dicey. While i did all of my towing without trailer brakes, I would not recommend it.

towing2.jpg

Tristan

1971 - Turkis

2002 Tune-up Parts

Lewis Fabrication Link

Anyone tow with anything like a 97 6 cyl 4Runner? Would like to rent a trailer next year for Limerock Vintage Weekend, but U-haul says not recommended. I have a Class II hitch. I think the trailer plus car must overshoot the rated capacity. Anyone ever do it?

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

gotta have hitch with min rating of 500lbs tounge weight and 5k lbs pull. think that is going to be class 3. 1500lb uhaul trailer and 2500lb car is 4000lbs, before you start loading all your tools, spare parts, luggage, etc. does toyota rate the thing for that much?

not old school tow rig, but gets it done...

DSCN0398.jpg

2011-08-07_10-31-17_728.jpg

DSCN5123.jpg

toby is right on the front tow hooks....if you make sure they are welded on correctly and only use the straps "inline" they can be used. over half the 02's i have had came with the tow hooks either ripped off or mostly ripped off. if you cross the tiedown straps to prevent side to side movement like i do (another towing holy war topic), then they just bend even if welded on right.

2xM3

leave trans in neutral, leave ebrake on.

An ebrake on a race car? (okay, so I have chased after mine once or twice in the pits... (chuckle))

I welded hefty eye bolts in place of the front factory tow hooks and added a u-shaped thingy made out of 1/2" diameter round stock to the rear subframe; I then tie it all down with three straps onto a small, single-axle trailer, and tow it with a '70 F250 ... (and soon, maybe, I'll be towing with a vintage Econoline with a built 302 V8). -KB