• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

value of a solid roundie roller?

jlandreth

looked at a nice roundie roller recently.The body appears to be about 99.9% rust-free and the paint is new.It's almost completely disassembled and the parts included are of unknown usefullness (engine in pieces,Tranny questionable etc)It's a major project. Any idea what it might be worth (ballpark)? It would make a nice companion for my 71.Thanks

what you describe is highly desireable to anyone with the time and inclination to reassemble the car. a rust-free and painted body is a great head start to a long-lasting enjoyable 02.

with that said, several factors will influence price:

location,

location,

location,

ability to move carcass if a ready buyer is not local,

for some (including me) having the matching engine block is highly desireable. other mechanical parts can be sourced and in this case, buying a parts car may be a good option.

i personally would value a ready-to-go, painted and rust-free shell at $2000 depending on the quality of the paint job, even more if it was a color i covet. if it was to be my first or second 02 i'd value it more. since i already have a yard full of 02's i personally would not want it at any price.

an unfinished project will always suffer in price. i know the amount of work that goes into rust repair. it's time consuming. avoiding it is worth the money i suggested, in my opinion, and painted, too!!

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thank-you! Yes,it's a color I like (Inka).I'm not sure obout it having the original block as that's said to be sitting in a machine shop,but I'm guessing it is. Otherwise,the car is said to be a CA. car and I believe it due to lack of rust along with interior parts that are mostly shot from exposure to the sun. It's a big project!

entirely dependant on how rust free and the quality of the prep and paint. rattle can paint everywhere and no prep? not worth much. bare metal redo with multiple coats of quality paint and clear coat? huge bucks. impossible to give range without more detail/pics.

or...how much is it worth to you? in your mind you can imagine the work you would have to do to get the shell to the point it is.

whatever the price, a rust free shell that has all the body and prep work done is the ultimate place to start a build of a car into whatever you want. not that i am biased or anything since i have such a shell for sale in the cars section......link below ;-)

2xM3

Thank-you for the response! The car was reportedly prepped by it's owner and the paint appears to be very well done.The only exceptions are a nick on the sunroof when the headliner was installed , and some overspray on a few brackets etc.that weren't removed prior to painting.Also,the painter neglected to paint the spare tire area.The owner claims the paint job cost him $3,400 5 years-ago.In terms of rust,the only areas I could find were just a bit where the battery tray connects to the core support and about a 1/2 inch area at one of the spare tire drain plugs.The car still has the ashpalt based floor insulation in place but it looks great from underneath .Rockers,shock towers floors etc. all look very good.I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic.I just turned 60 a few days-ago so I'm officially a geezer.Thanks-again

lol...i used to think 60 was old....but now that i am well into the 50's, my vote is that you're just a youngster! :-)

that car looks very, very nice from the one small pic. $3500 paint job 5 yrs ago, not including prep, would be $5k today. car looks like a winner and worth some coin.

2xM3

Looks great. What's it worth? What's it worth to YOU? Do you WANT to build yourself a car, with engine, transmission, and interior options you select? That's really the gating function. Personally, if this car was towing-distance from me, I'd be all over it like flies on dung. Someone else said two grand. If it really is 99.9% rust-free, based on the one photo, I'd pay two grand in a New York minute.

But if you don't want to go through the process and the expense, the cost is irrelevant.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Thank-you. Unfortunately,he's looking for considerably more than 2k or I would have been back there with a trailer by now. I figure it would still cost me 10-15k to finish it to my standards and that's with me doing 95% of the work. I plan to retire in another year or two and it would be a great project.

if you are planning to spend another 10-15K to finish it to your standards then i can only assume you want to end up with a factory new looking car. from the one photo, it looks doable. you'll want to spray the trunk area. i'd up your offer to $3500 if it has the matching engine. realize that there is a BIG unknown with the floor tar covering the floorboard. there's no guarantee that the rust is not on the interior. if he'll allow you to probe near the pedal box and front floor drain openings and it's clean then add an additional $800 to your offer.

you are after a nice car. here's your chance to skip the dirty work, if it pans out.

since it's a S/R, look VERY hard at the rear rocker panels....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa