• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone using H4 headlights with stock wiring harness/setup?

1971Ginger

I am asking because I want to get new headlights, bright ones preferebly idealy I'd like to run H4 set up but I don't want to rewire anything or really do anything to the electrics as the car has had its headlights related issues (bad switch contacts mostly)

Has anyone had problems running h4 or similair lighting set up with the stock wiring harness? Since I want a plug and play type set up, will something like this work?

I've found these locally and they seem interesting, anyone got any thoughts. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2680176162.html

Another option are these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-XENON-Headlight-Bulbs-1968-71-BMW-1600-2002-NEW-/200679831823

Thanks

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

If you already have a headlight circuit that already has bad switch contacts, adding high draw H4 lamps will just cause more trouble.

The reason for adding relays is to keep all that current from flowing through the switch. Even though the stock wiring and switch MAY be able to handle the extra current, I'm pretty sure the headlight circuit is not fused, and car fires suck.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

don't draw any more current than the OEM tungsten sealed beams. Where you get into trouble is using high wattage bulbs. If you do this, you'll need a relay.

On early (6 fuse) cars the headlights aren't even fused, much less have a relay; early 12 fuse cars at least have the headlights fused, but no relays. Squarelights have fuses and relays.

If you have an early car, I did a Roundel column on how to wire in fused headlight relays; drop me an email and I'll send you a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm running H4s with my '71 with the 6 fuses and my front lights stop working. So one of my buddies wire up directly to the lights and added a switch. I think a relay in line would do the trick.

Can you please send me the info.

jksdavis@yahoo.com

Much thanks....

Jim Davis

'71 2002

Alameda CA

If you"re using "normal" 55/60 watt halogen bulbs, they don't draw any more current than the OEM tungsten sealed beams. Where you get into trouble is using high wattage bulbs. If you do this, you'll need a relay.

On early (6 fuse) cars the headlights aren't even fused, much less have a relay; early 12 fuse cars at least have the headlights fused, but no relays. Squarelights have fuses and relays.

If you have an early car, I did a Roundel column on how to wire in fused headlight relays; drop me an email and I'll send you a copy.

cheers

mike

In addition, the US market is the only one that needed sealed beam lights. In the rest of the world '02s came with H4 headlights; optional on early cars and standard on later ones. Euro or US market they have the same wiring.... If you keep to standard 55/60 wattage H4 bulbs and the rest of your system is in good condition you shouldn't have a problem. I've installed H4 headlights in countless '02s and other period BMWs without issue. If you feel safer and or want to use higher wattage bulbs like 55/100 or 80/100 then you should install relays. Inherently it isn't a bad idea to install relays and turn the switch into just that, a switch instead of the main circuit; it's just not necessary.

In my own '67 1600-2 I use 55/100W H4's. But the car was originally 6 volt and thus had thicker wiring and a relay to begin with.

Another point should be made is to properly aim your headlights. If they are low you'll never get the benefit of the better lighting.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I've installed a few of these NeoLite and Autopal lights in customer cars when they didn't want to pay for Cibie. Bosch or Hella lights. They are very nice for the money.

http://classicgarage.com/7rounh4headb.html

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Listen to the above advice regarding using relays. BMW did a very poor design of the headlight circut in my opinion. Both the main light switch AND and high beam switch see and switch the FULL current. It's fairly easy and WAY better to rewire everything with relays. Attached is the schematic of how I redid all of my relays.

-Carl

20110521105427447.pdf