• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine rebuild cost Q...

deschodt

I've spent way too much money fixing what was a rotten 73, replacing floors, body panels, interior, fuel injecting it, and generally getting very upside down... I'm kinda stuck with it now ;-)

Now the engine always made a ticking noise at idle and my mechanic suggests timing chain guides or something related to those, requiring taking the engine out... $1900 estimate... Considering I paid $75 for a new head once, and what I routinely see used (running) cars go for, I'm a little shocked it would cost that much... Not to mention this car already has a replacement head that is a little coked up, and if we pulled the motor I'd want to respray the engine compartment, redo the head, etc....

Where is the smart money here? Do people sell turn key replacement motors ? what price ? The engine runs well and strong with the EFI. Take my chances ? I don't think this particular motor is all that valuable as is.. I think I can put a used motor in for less than 2 grand if I blow this up. If I decide to fix this one, I'm gonna have to park it while I save $$$$ because the fixing will lead to a slippery slope of head/engine bay/more paint and way more $$$...

Anyway, is it really that expensive to redo the chain guides? Thought you could access some stuff dropping the oil pan... Do you think that's even the issue ? The symptoms is that I hear a ticking every 2 seconds or so like an exhaust cooling noise, at idle. It's been doing that for 4 years without any issues whatsoever...

Thx !

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

my engine is costing me $6k. $3k in parts, and $3k at the machine shop. I took it out and will be putting it back in myself. im replacing everything though, including new pistons, new cam, new aluminum flywheel, new clutch, new valves/spings, new oil pump, etc, so im sure you could do it cheaper if one was inclined. deosnt really save on teh labour though. stillhave to take it apart, bore/plane, and put it all back together.

that can be replaced without removing the engine or pulling the head. removing the radiator and grilles gives you enough access/working space to do the deed. However...beware of mission creep; "minor" engine work can quickly turn into a complete overhaul.

You have a couple of alternatives if you want to do the whole engine:

1. Rebuild the one you have (esp important if you want to keep matching engine/VINs)

2. Buy a factory remanufactured engine from BMW--probably cheaper than #1 above and warranted by BMW

3. Watch the FAQ, Craigslist etc for someone elses' recent/low mileage rebuild. The cheapest alternative, but also the most fraught with danger, as the engine's real condition depends on the seller's honesty and the rebuilder's ability.

cheers

mike.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2. Buy a factory remanufactured engine from BMW--probably cheaper than #1 above and warranted by BMW

mike.

That is interesting... Mobile tradition ???

Ouch, just looked, $3-4000.

And I thought engine stuff was cheap on that car.... I'm in the process of paying for the engine/tranny rebuild on a 73 911T, so adding the bimmer to *that* bill is out of the question right now, or for the foreseable future... I'll just drive it less until I can afford to do something about it, after all it's been ticking for 4 years (since I got it). When it rains, it pours ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Anyway, is it really that expensive to redo the chain guides? Thought you could access some stuff dropping the oil pan... Do you think that's even the issue ? The symptoms is that I hear a ticking every 2 seconds or so like an exhaust cooling noise, at idle. It's been doing that for 4 years without any issues whatsoever...

If it runs fine I would leave it alone and not worry about it. As others have said, replacing the timing chain and guides is not that hard and there is certainly no need to pull the engine. Remove radiator and oil pan and pull front cover. Can remove a baffled oil pan with engine in car, just lift engine a bit and reach in and unbolt oil pump at front and rear support. BTW, some years ago I rebuild my engine for about $2000 in parts and minor machine work, but of course YMMV.

Best of luck, Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

fwiw, the engine is my automatic costed me 650$

400$ for NOS ebay piston

25$ for a NOS ebay bearing set

25$ for a unknown brand new timing chain+tentioner and spring kit, probably NOS unpackaged long time ago and put back into another box

75$ for a very old but nice NOS Goetz gasket set with a cutting ring head hasket (rare as hell)

125$ for head work, surfacing, valves regrinded,...

+ my time to assemble it all

i had a mint block in stock as well as a water pump and oil pump.

runs like a func#%#$ champ.

worth having other experiences and opinions.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel