• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intro to Welding Class in Philly Area?

MattL

After getting some encouragement (and a less "holy" pedal box) from Chris Isaacson (Stone Racing), I'm thinking I'll keep my 74 rust bucket. That means that there will be quite a bit of rust repair in my future (rockers, frame rails, spare tire well: the works). So, i need to get me some welding skills. From forum searches and Youtube browsing, I take it MIG is the way to go, especially for a newbie like me. But I'm not too keen on learning from Youtube after seeing some of the nonsense that passes as how-to's. Does anyone in the Philly area know of a good how-to class in the area? Camden County has welding classes, but they're way more extensive and advanced than what I'm looking for.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MattL

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

I really don't think you should learn on MIG. I think you should learn to stick weld, progressing from producing dime-on-edge welds on flat stock, all the way to vertical up and round pipe. Do that, and MIG will seem like a walk in the park. From stick, however, I'd go to TIG, which is much more useful overall for our typical applications - and, it produces some beautiful welds. It is, however, very difficult and frustrating at first.

I learned with the assistance from my neighbor, Uncle Rick, who is a professional welder. He suggested that I go learn the basics, and then he took me under his wing. To learn the basics, I enrolled in a local community college, in their trade program (Montgomery County, Maryland, at the Homer Gedelsky Institute of Technology). I suspect a local community college will offer something similar (GIT, for example, teaches auto, plumbing, carpentry, etc.).

Once I had the basics, Uncle Rick showed me how to TIG. Wow, what a difference. Finally, he showed me MIG - which seemed like child's play. MIG is what he uses 90 percent of the time, because it's so fast and easy. The new Miller machines make the process almost brainless (you plug in some info and the machine figures everything out).

Just my thoughts, that's all. Going MIG first, however, will hide some bad habits and, in my opinion, will not teach a disciplined, "control the puddle/find your heat" approach that stick teaches.

PS - some of the new stick machines are really cool - they take up no more room than a lunchpail. Also, the Jesse James book (he of Sandra Bullock and Apprentice and Monster Garage fame) is pretty good - it's called "How to Weld Damn Near Everything."

Unless your planning on taking up welding as a career( doesn't sound like it), Mig is definitely what you want for your project. There is nothing on your list that you would ever want to stick weld. As an experienced welder I would also warn you not to be seduced by a cheaper flux core gasless mig welder. They are not easy to learn on and they generally suck for auto use. No amount of youtube videos and books can replace some class/lab time and personal instruction. Check out, http://weldingweb.com/ Lots of great people willing to give advice to all skill levels.. May be able to point you to a class or shop for some training as well. "How to weld damn near everything" is actually a great book on welding...

Good luck and have fun...

Center Exit.

Thanks for the input, all. I'll definitely pick up the Jesse James book, and I'll keep looking for a class at community colleges. The one closest to me only has more serious courses (i.e. classes for professional welders), but I'll widen my search area. I do think I'll start with MIG, even if it leaves me room to learn bad habits: getting to the point where I can make some progress on the car will help keep me motivated. I'll heed your advice and steer clear of flux welders.

Any recommendations for a good brand or model MIG welder to buy?

Matt

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs