• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home Made Heater Core Boil Out Process

justinevert

Apparently there are no radiator shops that can boil out a heater core for you. Any "home brew" tricks one can do? Would it be easier to just pour Prestone flush in one end and let is set to flush it out?

TIA

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

I poured some diluted CLR in mine for about 6-7 minutes and then flushed it out. If you keep filling it with hot water after, then shake it, you'll see black crud come out. I did the "rinse and repeat" procedure about 20 times until I didn't see the crud anymore.

I like the CLR method (rinse and repeat). Do it at the same time as you clean your furnace humidifier pad (yeah its that time again).

Maybe let it soak in some distilled vinegar and water in a 5 gallon bucket.

11009025.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Where are you? Had mine boiled out Recently for less than $20. Also important to have it pressure tested.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I like the CLR method (rinse and repeat). Do it at the same time as you clean your furnace humidifier pad (yeah its that time again).

11009025.jpg

I tried vinegar but it didn't seem to do much. The CLR was quite effective, though.

I went to an old radiator shop and the guy was more than happy to take my 20 dollars for the cleaning. he did a great job the flow was good compared to before I had it done. I would try another place.

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

11009025.jpg

I tried vinegar but it didn't seem to do much. The CLR was quite effective, though.

Yep and CLR is great for finding EVERY tiny scratch or cut in your fingers LOL

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Where are you? Had mine boiled out Recently for less than $20. Also important to have it pressure tested.

+1 on having it pressure tested. Mine had a tiny pinhole leak in the core.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️