• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any winter projects?

jgerock

Looks like we need to lighten up the forum (again). Please list what you actually want (or will) accomplish during the next few months when most colder climate 2002 owners put their babies under covers.

Anyone going to completely restore a car then drive it to a major event in 2012? Or pull another old "barn find" 2002 and make it road worthy like Paul Wegweiser? Or perform another engine/tranny transplant? Or fixing some annoying leaks, dangling exhausts, drippy carbs, Flintstone floor boards, whistling windows, sloppy shifters, wobbly wheels, frustrating fuel injection, gruesome guibos and other assorted things that drive us crazy.

Let us know what you are planning on doing.

DSC_0502.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you saw some of my posts on repairing oil drips. The next few months, I'm gonna get new tires on my factory MAHLE tires and put them back on, get rid of the horrid bent up steelies...

Replace guibo, subframe mounts....

Sort out electrical stuff...

Possibly get the drivers seat reupholstered and have the passenger seat's back restuffed.

Also, engine cleanse. For those of you who have seen the inside of my engine it's horrific.

Also, over Christmas break I plan to get some grueling bodywork done on the 76 that I'm eventually going to restore somewhere in the next 20 years...

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

My hope is to freshen up all of the input interfaces in the car. I've got a fresh steering box and shifter linkage ready for install. Already got the throttle tightened up Sean Casey and next will be the clutch pedal.

I've downloaded 3000 how to pages from the FAQ and plan on pulling my tranny for a rebuild along with doing the clutch etc while it is out. The last time I pulled a tranny was over 40 years ago so it should be interesting. I am not a big fan of working on my back for a project like this but I am up to the challenge - I hope -

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

Hello from sunny Ldn UK,

I have just acquired ownership of one '73 manuel, 4 speed 02. It was a barn find that was adorned with a tax disc bearing '87. She started up with a little work and sounded fairly healthy.

A couple of rust issues but nothing you wouldnt expect. Not had her on the ramp but the obvious breaks, seals, electrics etc are down, and needs a good clean!!

Waiting to work on her in spring as I have no indoor space. Lots of info to read up on but I think a full resto is needed, or deserved.

Might start with refurbing the brakes and suspension.

Limited knowledge so will certainly require everyone's pearls of wisdom!

This is my first post and a big winter project.

Project includes ---1 new cam valve seals and springs. 2 new sway bar IE 22mm. 3 new IE exhaust 4 shorten the struts and shorten the springs the correct way 5 replace the clutch 6 rebuild the pass seat 7 relocate the battery 8 build a strut brace 9 new rear wheel cylinders 9 tune the carb 10 new front rotors

It sound like alot but in the last 3months I have around 200 hours in it so this is going to be a breeze

Jim, great idea. I have a big project coming-up. Well, I think I'm going to hold-off until Mar/April. I've got my NOS fenders & new driver door (all painted the wrong paint code) and I have a local restoration person who I have met with twice. Plan is... he's going to strip my whole car down, glass out, straighten any dings, replace headliner... and paint her all up. Same blue w/ the same dust like metal flake I have now. If it's a mild winter, I may sneak it over sooner.

DSC04250.jpg

IMG_7984.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

My projects will include getting the newly acquired 67 2000 tilux "parked for 15+ years barn find" road worthy (suspension and brakes) and tuned up to make the drive from Akron OH to Winston Salem to The Vintage in May...

http://rustandtiluxation.wordpress.com/

and on my '70 2002 I plan on rebuilding the shift tower/linkage, replacing the drive shaft and center bearing, swapping in another diff with new seals that won't be leaking, and installing a sync link for my 32/36.

Thanks for the distraction Jim. -Killing my zeal it is.

I have 90mm 9.5 CR pistons on the shelf. I had planned on pulling the motor and rebuilding the bottom end over the winter. Once the bottom is reassembled, I'll install the rebuilt 292 cam head that's been hanging around for a couple years now. In my quest for clean and 'easy', low(er) maintenance power, I'll then be forced to choose between the set of "emissions" 40 "H" DHLAs or a Lynx and a 45.

Beyond that, I'd like to get my discrete iphone/ipod only audio system in place. A full set of proper gauges, and have my driving lights be functional.

Big dreams for a father of five. Big dreams.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Guest Anonymous

well my project plans are take the 02 I puchased this past summer pull engine,5 speed swap,build up a dual carb blow thru turbo set up using the turbo calloway parts from a 77 320i, o and also installing the schnitzer flare panel I got from Andy,also hoping to get a custom airbag set up fabbed up,dammm now that I wrote it down thats alot,ill get some pics up and project blog started soon,still aquiring parts oh anyone have a megasquirt for sale cheap or another form of engine managment.

sylvio

1974 2002

1975 2002

1978 mini

Replaced the throttle linkage rods and new gas pedal and cleaned the fuel screens. So my winter projects are done. May detail the undercarriage.

Athena the E9, that's a longer list.

Hope to have both at The Vintage.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40