• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water cooler talk at work... crazy $$ for cars

jgerock

While taking a break at work today, my co-worker who bleeds Ford blue blood told me a friend of his recently sold a '67 or '68 Ford Mustang Fastback (Eleanor clone).

It was evidently a show-winning car, so it was going to fetch some good money. The owner put it up on eBay with a reserve (I think) of $ 28K. There were several quick bidders who jumped the bidding into the mid $ 30's.

The owner got a few e-mails then a call from a local guy who owns a few pawn shops and they talked price. The "pawn-shop" guy paid $ 45,000.00 CASH for the car! He said there were pictures taken of the tall stack of bills on the kitchen table.

Incredible. Wish my "cheap" VW would sell that fast.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Last weekend I was at a party. A few of us guys ended up in front of the TV watching some big dollar car auction. Lots of retired white guys buying the cars of their youth.

I was impressed that some of the nearly stock mustangs and camaros only reached $30k or so. One Shelby mustang went higher. The buyers in this group were more interested in the hot rods. A 'custom' mustang went for $120k.

There was a '79 Firebird with massive engine and lots o chrome. We all agreed that all the bling was actually an improvement on that turd of a car.The stock camaro was my favorite. I didn't get to see what the Jensen Interceptor went for.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes