• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experiences with aftermarket cruise control?

shauer

Before next year's drive down to NC for "The Vintage" in May, I want to add cruise control. I have been looking at this unit from Rostra:

http://www.rostra.com/products/unive...by-rostra.html

Does anyone have some first-hand experience with this unit or another fully electronic cruise control unit? Any information would be helpful. I need fully electronic since I basically have no engine vacuum due to my ITBs...

I have seen of few of your cars at The Vintage that had cruise so I'm hoping I can get some information.

Thanks!

- Steve

'77 2.2L 320i, ITBs, COP, 5 speed, LSD
MS3 running sequential fuel and spark. MAF tuning with idle control
http://www.77e21.info

E21's are friends, not food...

I use a Audiovox CC100 it is triggered off a tach signal and holds speed very well. Disengage when rpms jump when you hit the clutch. Braking disengages from brake light switch activation. The new model is CCS and is pricy. Mine is at least 6 years old with 5 trips from Denver to the MidAmericaFest.

Prior to that I had an old Dana unit sold by Sears (pre real electronic age). It didn't hold speed nearly as good as it triggered off magnets on the driveshaft. Was hazardous on a manual trans as I couldn't hook up the clutch disengage mechanism due to the floor pedals.

The Rostra unit you mention looks very interesting and a good price.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

A perfectly weighted brick that you store under the seat?

Sorry.

I don't really use cruise control in my cars that have it. I prefer to use my foot.

The only thing I would warn against is aftermarket systems that are very invasive to install. Cutting wires, drilling holes, etc... The less invasive the better, in case you change your mind or there is a problem.

Any chance to retrofit a system from an E30? The control unit looks pretty small. Not sure what electrical needs are, but I do have the ETK and could look into it.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The only thing I would warn against is aftermarket systems that are very invasive to install. Cutting wires, drilling holes, etc... The less invasive the better, in case you change your mind or there is a problem.

Any chance to retrofit a system from an E30? The control unit looks pretty small. Not sure what electrical needs are, but I do have the ETK and could look into it.

The E30 unit is not a bad idea, I'll look into it as a possible option. I agree with the invasive comment. I need to mount it under the dash to pull on the gas pedal lever since I cannot ever have slack in my main throttle cable. Everything will be under the dash and can be pulled if it does not work out. No extra holes through firewall.

My entire engine and Megasquirt harness is hand-made custom anyways, adding a few new wires to it is not a big deal to me.

Thanks for the E30 idea.

- Steve

'77 2.2L 320i, ITBs, COP, 5 speed, LSD
MS3 running sequential fuel and spark. MAF tuning with idle control
http://www.77e21.info

E21's are friends, not food...

Looking at the ETM for my E30M3- You would need the Cruise control Actuator under the hood, and also the electronic module under the dash. The control switches could be improvised, but it may be easier to figure a way to mount the stock E30 stalk switch. With the OEM components, the only inputs the system wants are +12, ground, +12 from the brake lights being turned on, and then an electronic speed input. That one may be tough to come by unless you have installed an electronic speedo set up.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

AndyS had the Rostra in his wife's M42 02. Maybe he'll chime in...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,793247/highlight,/sid,7c66b1bb54a4c304306cf99eafdae1d3/

I was going to mention an e30 unit also as I remember someone doing the retrofit but I'm not 100% if it was on an 02, maybe an e21.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig